Slime Algae in Planted Tank - Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theoutdoorsykid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Went away for two weeks, and when I came back - slime algae EVERYWHERE (Some house-sitter)! Removed and washed broad leaf plants. Peeled slime off glass with razor. Scooped up top layer of rocks. Sucked slime up off grasses. Changed out 30% of water right away. Now changing 10% (3 of 29) of water every other day and sucking up any slime algae I can with the hose each time. Water quality is now great and aquarium looks good, but will that do it? I want to avoid medication if possible, especially with snail and shrimp. Am I best to put shrimp and snail in a separate tank and use chemicals? Also, should I resume plant supplements (excel, iron, potassium, trace) or will that just boost algae? Reduce light? What do you think?

I have a 29 gallon planted tank with 60 gallon HOB filter and 6in airstone. 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Roseline Sharks, 3 Silver Hatchetfish, 2 Black Ruby Barbs, 3 Ottos, 2 Cory Sterbaii, 5 Amano Shrimp, 1 Cherry Shrimp, 2 Orange Bee Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail. Stocked - yes. But peaceful and no water quality problems for over a year. Large HOB, water changes, and plants do good job of keeping quality high (except when housesitter overfeeds, neglects, and doesn't change any water).

Tank today: IMG_20111127_151351.jpg

Back
Top Bottom