Slime Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andydg

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well this is a first for me. In my 10 gallon planted tank I noticed yesterday that I have a lot of what looks to me like slime algae. Normally I'd just get some of those pellets that get rid of the algae but I don't think my plants would like that very much. What do you suggest??? It hasn't taken over the tank yet... TIA.

green slime algae? kinda blue-green in color?
is it very loosely blanketing the gravel or plants?
if you can remove a little of it, does it have a peculiar odor? kind of a strong, sweet, fresh cut grass smell?

if so, that' cyanobacteria...not a true algae but a bacteria. typcially caused by lack of nitrates in the water, or lack of water current.

10gallon planted tank...with how much light?
Are you testing for things like nitrates? phosphates?
Do you have CO2 injection?

I'm going to move this to the planted tank forum, so you can get all the answers you need.

Is it in the filter, where is it laying? What are your tank inhabitants and parameters?

Ok...It's a blueish green color that is loosely covering my moss (not sure what kind as it's clippings of moss from before I was even born), drift wood, and some of the gravel. I was just going to gravel vac. but I was afraid that might help it to spread. I'm not sure on the amount of light...I went into our LFS and asked for a good light for a beginner at a planted tank and the owner just handed me a bulb. This place is a really good place that I don't think would ever steer me in the wrong direction. I haven't been able to test for anything since the last couple days for me have been filled with school and work and neither are close to any sort of a pet store. Also I don't have CO2 injection.

As for inhabitants it's got 2 Bristle Nose Catfish, 3 Corys, 3 Platys, and 4 Neon Tetras. No invertabrates or anything.

tell use about filtration, and test the nitrate levels in the tank.

it does sound like a strain of cyanobacteria

Back
Top Bottom