Small Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I'm currently trying to decide on the fish to get for my planted 12g tank. However I'm at a stand still with fish to put in it! I need some advice.

The fish that I have looked at are:
Spotted/Dwarf Rasbora
Chili Rasbora
Ember Tetra
Galaxy Rasbora
and the Gold Ring Danio

Does anyone have any experience with those fish? I have 1 docile male betta who has been with many different fish. Is there much difference between any of the fish? Anything special about them? Any preferences by anyone? Also about how many of these fish would be good? Thanks for reading this!

I'd pick rasboras. I think tetras are schooling fish but not too sure but danios are for sure just giving head ups. Rabsboras just look good and I never had one ..

I have galaxy rasboras. They are on the timid side, so lots of plants and numbers help them come out more often. I would just worry that the betta might scare them back somewhat. As long as he is cool with them, I'm sure it would just be a matter of time before they come out.

I prefer galaxy rasboras over other nano fish because I think they are much prettier. That and I found them on an amazing deal at a local shop.

I also have a dario species that is more out in the open and less likely to hide. So, maybe look into darios if you are wanting a more out-there fish?

I have galaxy rasboras. They are on the timid side, so lots of plants and numbers help them come out more often. I would just worry that the betta might scare them back somewhat. As long as he is cool with them, I'm sure it would just be a matter of time before they come out.

I prefer galaxy rasboras over other nano fish because I think they are much prettier. That and I found them on an amazing deal at a local shop.

I also have a dario species that is more out in the open and less likely to hide. So, maybe look into darios if you are wanting a more out-there fish?

I loved the look of these, but I've always heard that they are very timid and shy. The tank is in my sister's room and I wanted the fish to be out as often as possible. I saw some of these for $8.99 at my lfs. I think that I may buy 3-4 of these to begin with, you've really convinced me! Is there any certain kind of food do you feed them? Like live? Or just good flake food?

Also what is the dario species? I tried googling it but nothing came up...

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Ok, so maybe not the galaxy rasboras. I've read that they like colder water... That could be an issue. Anyone else have a comment? I'm open to anything that'll get along with a betta in a 12g tank:). Thanks

Well then, galaxy rasboras are not for you then. There are plenty of fish out there for you to chose from though! (pun intended)

Actually, I have not been able to pinpoint an actual species of what my dario are. I have done tons and tons of research and contacted breeders who are more educated on these fish and nothing. The best I could come up with is that they are from some small stream out in southeast Asia and somehow wound up at a LFS near me. They find new nano rasbora/danio/dario all the time and not all of them are even 100% classified.

Anyway, scarlet badis (dario dario) are one of the more common dario out there. Local shops can normally order them in if they do not carry them or you can get them online without too much of a search.
Scarlet Badis (Dario dario) - Seriously Fish

Okay. Those would be cool, however (once again) I'm not sure how they would fair with a betta.

So now I'm between:
Ember tetra
Gold ring danio
Chili rasbora
Spotted/dwarf rasbora

Which one, which one?

I am pretty partial to ember tetras personally. They like warmer water too which makes them really good betta tankmates.
I like all of those option though. The gold ringed danio is said to like cooler water too, but I think it would be fine as long as you acclimate properly. Chilis are pretty cute because they are so frickin tiny. The gold ring danio is less shy than the cpd. I like the spotted dwarves too, but they may hide from the betta a bit. Really, its up to you what you.
What color is the betta?

absolutangel04 said:
I am pretty partial to ember tetras personally. They like warmer water too which makes them really good betta tankmates.
I like all of those option though. The gold ringed danio is said to like cooler water too, but I think it would be fine as long as you acclimate properly. Chilis are pretty cute because they are so frickin tiny. The gold ring danio is less shy than the cpd. I like the spotted dwarves too, but they may hide from the betta a bit. Really, its up to you what you.
What color is the betta?

Oh dear! I have a decision to make! The betta has a red body with white fins, and a little red on the fins as well.

This is from a while ago but it's like the only picture that I have of him.

Well, in that case just about any of these fish will match it. Lol. One thing about nano fish is that most of them are red. Lol.
Like I said, I am partial to the embers because they thrive at the temperatures a betta likes. I actually kept my tank at like 82 or just above without any issues (my betta/ember tank).

We've kept all of those and have kept the chilis and embers both with male bettas. Any boraras should be fine in the higher temp range along with the ember tetra. It will depend on the temperament of the betta though. We never lost a fish, but a friend had a betta that ate a school of small neons...

HN1 said:
We've kept all of those and have kept the chilis and embers both with male bettas. Any boraras should be fine in the higher temp range along with the ember tetra. It will depend on the temperament of the betta though. We never lost a fish, but a friend had a betta that ate a school of small neons...

Ok thanks for the info! It's good to hear!

Back
Top Bottom