Small schooling fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aidanflower

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 90 gallon reef tank and i would like a bunch of small schooling fish. I dont have nor do i plan on getting anything that will pret on small fish. I would like fairly in expensive colorful enough but don't have to be a focus point kind of colorful, if you know what i mean. Any ideas?

I have heard that they will kill each other off. I have also experienced them being very seseptible to a disease/parasite that makes their scales all red and its not good. I have also been confirmed by my lfs that this is very common. For those reasons i would like to stay away from them. Thanks

I have 3 cardinals. Two of the stay together and the other one is on the other side. I would like something with a bit more color and if possible more movement. Thanks

One of the smaller anthias would probably work. Try bartletts or dispar

I have looked at anthias but live aquaria to keep a group of them i would need at least a 125 gallon tank. What are your thoughts of keeping a smaller species of anthias, i male and 2 or 3 female in my 90 gallon

I have found the lyretail anthias to be pretty hardy. I got three years ago and they are still with me. Even had one morph into a male.

I like them to. I also like the distinct differences between the male and female so if i get a few it looks like the male has a bunch of (moderator edit) following him around. How big is your tank?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also curious if there are any other fish other than anthias where it would be best to keep one male to multiple females

How about blue reef chromis? I had a bunch of them and it took years for them to slowly dwindle to 2. They are bigger than the blue/greens and I really liked them. I even had 2 of mine pair up and they laid eggs. :)

I have 7 blue green ones right now and they are inseparable so far. other than they keep jumping into my overflow they are pretty neat.

I have 5 blue/green chromis. They've been in my tank almost 2 months and always swim together. No fighting yet and really cool to watch. Even my blue tang and clowns swim with them a lot

I have heard that you need to get an odd number for them to be successful. I would try 3 of them. What type are you going to get?

I was thinking about lyretails because i like the coloring differences between the males and females. So it would be best to get one mail and 2 females rather than 1 male and 3 females.

I was thinking about lyretails because i like the coloring differences between the males and females. So it would be best to get one mail and 2 females rather than 1 male and 3 females.

I am also looking into 3 lyretails for my 90 gallon that is currently cycling. If you decide to do this you will have to keep me updated on them.

Back
Top Bottom