Smelly water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KenW

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This past weekend we had an unfortunate situation; I did a 50% pwc and added some more gravel substrate in hopes of adding some real plants, and I had almost all of my fish die in 48 hours. To save what fish we had left, I moved the beta to a fishbowl, left the remaining 4 fish in the tank and did a 50% pwc yesterday and another pwc again today, because my ammonia had gone up to 2.0, and now there's a bad sulfur smell coming from the tank. This same odor was present on Tuesday also. Any ideas? :-?

p.s. I got all the fish out that died so I know its not corpses stinking up the place.

Now that Lager kind of pointed it out, the more I think about it...you probably release a ton of stuff from your substrate when you added the new stuff. The smell is probably due to an overabundance of ammonia and a bacteria bloom. The ammonia released from stirring up your substrate may be what killed off your fish.

Just speaking from experience here, as I've done it before. I did it with my 29g tank, and **** broke loose. Fortunately I caught it after just a couple fish had passed, and started changing water like mad.

Prime smells like sulfur. Did you check the filter? What are your ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte readings (in numbers please)?

40g freshwater tank has been up and running for 4 months.
ammonia .5 - 1.0 even after a 50% pwc. the folks at my LFS have no idea why I cannot get my ammonia number down. They've been very helpful with this.
these numbers are off of a API test strip which I know is not helpful:
GH - 60
KH - 20
pH - 6.5
nitrite and nitrate are stating 0, but like I said, test strips aren't usually accurate. I am getting the freshwater test kit this weekend.
I am using Prime to dechlorinate, as suggested by my LFS.
Thanks!

Did you track the progress of your cycle when you set up the tank? Showing 1.0 ppm of Ammonia and no nitrates after a 50% PWC makes me think your tank was never completely cycled.

I think you released a load of organic matter. I would do another 50-75% change as soon as you can. The 0 nitrates is interesting is this tank planted?

Did you test your tap for ammonia? A single dose of Prime will lock up .8ppm of ammonia, though it will still show it on your test. During cycling, you can use a double dose for the entire tank volume to lock up ammonia, nitrItes, and nitrAtes. During an emergency spike, you can do up to 5x the normal dose (for the entire tank).

And Prime smells like sulfur (stick your nose in the bottle) and this is normal and probably what you're smelling from your tank...

I have been staying on top of the cycling. I have learned over the past 4 months the trials and hassles of trying to cycle with fish and ultimately what happens when you stir up too much substrate.
But what is causing the smell? I have been using Prime for 4 months, and then on Tuesday then again today, the sulfur smell comes on suddenly and fills the entire house to the point we've had to open all the windows?

i did a 50% PWC yesterday and again today. i put the beta back in, he was so depressed in the bowl and now he's very happy, although all of his friends are gone. :-(
i am following my LFS's advice and doing the pwc's until I can get the ammonia down. My tap water's ammonia though is 1.0.

its 40 gallons, and I am 100% positive the odor is coming from the tank.

Would carbon media help remove the smell?

I wouldn't recommend more than one 50% pwc a day.

i have a penguin bio wheel filter with a carbon filter and a sponge insert.

Would carbon media help remove the smell?

I wouldn't recommend more than one 50% pwc a day.

Why not? Match temp and dechlorinate and you are good to go. If the tank smells that bad I would do a major change say 85% and give the filter an extra good cleaning. Use dechlorinated water on the pads.

Why not? Match temp and dechlorinate and you are good to go. If the tank smells that bad I would do a major change say 85% and give the filter an extra good cleaning. Use dechlorinated water on the pads.

I agree 90% in the morning, rinse your media, let it sit for the day. If it smells bad at night, change it again.

Back
Top Bottom