Snail advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hsbballer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon aquarium currently set up with volcanic rock substrate a couple of fake plants. Micro swords and a moss ball. I have a bichir and rainbow shark. Also have 2 fiddler crabs and 2 random fish. Should I get snails to help with algae or what? Any other advise for the tank? Re do any substrate. I feel like I am wasting the tank and it has potential. Any comments welcome

What pH do you have normally from your faucet? That might help with some decisions.

Do you have a pic of the tank?

Snails are awesome. But maybe you want to decide on fish first. Start with something you love!!! Build the rest of the tank around that!

Here's the tank

Attachments

• image-3621592989.jpg
    image-3621592989.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 47
Have you thought about which fish you might be interested in keeping?

Also if you go to the lfs or check out some driftwood here, and see which types are available.

I usually like either the driftwood or the stones to be the main focal point, adding in with plants and whichever one isn't the main focus. Ireally like lots of everything, lol!!!

I have a bichir, rainbow shark, gourami, and another. Also 2 crabs and a couple of ghosts shrimp and a crawdad

So you will need to keep the water level so you can have an island or driftwood for the crabs so they can get out of the water.

Are there any other fish you have thought of adding?

I think that some nice twisted /lots of roots /type driftwood with some fast growing plants since the crayfish like to chop up plants and ones you don't mind floating. Maybe tie moss onto some spaces where the roots twist and turn. Some open flat space for the Bichir, maybe under the roots too.

Some craggy, jagged rocks stacked and make some nice climbing areas and a few little caves for the cray and crabs, angled so you can still see them but they think they are really hiding! Leave enough space so the Red Tail Shark, can swim all the way around the outside of the tank with little interference.

You are welcome!

On fish, I will need to think a little. You have a bit of variety on things...and lots of things which like to eat other things, if they are small enough or slow enough! So no small tetra snacks.

You would probably need something a bit larger which doesn't require perfect water, just due to the feeding habits of crabs and crays, they eat up lots of stuff but it can sit in the tank sometimes till they finish cleaning up the crumbs.

I think a German Ram might be a little too nice, so what about a Kribensis?Cichlid is smallish but tough...very attractively colored if you get a male, and wouldn't think pair as they spawn on the ground and may be a war with the bottom dwellers. I don't really know anything about the semi-aggressive behaved fish. So these are starter ideas, need someone experienced to comment on which might work better.

Someone recommended Congo Tetras! I saw some today at the lfs, very nice. VERY Big for a tetra, seemed to stay near the top 1/3 -1/4 of the tank.

How about Tiger Barbs? or Green Tiger Barbs...I haven't had them but they are attractive. Or if you'd rather go nicer fish, the Cherry Barb maybe.

Just make sure you get enough for their school or shoal.

Back
Top Bottom