Snail eggs??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have a seperate tank but I do have a floating hatching box I can put them in to keep them safe I guess but I'll have to wait until they hatch. Do they normally hatch quickly?

When they hatch they are microscopic. I'm fairly sure you will not catch any until you can at least see them. How many fish do you have? A temporary tank need not be glass.

Follow the link to breeding corydoras in post 12. Lots of info for you.

I've got 4 Cory's 6 neons and 2 bloodfin.

I check out that post thanks

Based on your stock at this point in time

If you are American, Rubbermaid containers, lots of sizes. That will do a temp tank. Not much money for the size you will need.
The filter is mature so you shouldn't have any major problems. Plenty of places advertise fry tanks/grow out tanks for ponds. Normally opaque plastic/rubber, I've used plastic containers from the kitchen department in a DIY store. 2ft by 1 ft will hold your current stock easily. It isn't ideal for the Cory but is more than acceptable short term (my christmas brood were spawned in just 18"x12"x12") keep on checking the water on smaller systems, make notes.

Feed infusoria 3-4 times a day once the eggs drop. When you can see the fry, feed bigger (mouth sized) food. A couple of months like that then treat as adults.

This is the only negative thing-
Be prepared to deal with deformed specimens.

I'm in England but I'm sure there's something similar I can find. There's even more eggs on the glass now lol. This is her first time breeding too

It will happen again. And again. For at least 6 years. You can easily breed them 10-15 times a year.

I got some large plastic containers from home base (well not really big but good enough) they are only 28 litres but cheap as chips. You could get a 40-50 litre container for a £10 note! B and q do similar things. Best thing Is un coloured plastic. I used regular storage containers with no problems. Ideally from the kitchen section. You can get lids and all sorts.

Brilliant ill head on over there soon then. Should I just leave the eggs where they are or try and move them?

Female cory's can lay eggs even if there is no male present. Of course they will not be fertile. The aspidora's and few the few cory's that I've had spawn always had amber (pale tan-ish) eggs. White eggs never hatched. There was an amusing conversation about this some time back about how many "colors" of white there are. Remember what one person calls white can be another persons cream or tan. Temperature determines hatching with quicker hatching in warmer temps.

Thanks. I'm not intentionally breeding them so it's not really a huge loss if they have not been fertisiled but I'm hoping I can at least get 1 or 2 lol

I've never tried moving eggs, it's easier to catch the fish.

@ Janice, yes there are many shades of white (being a painter decorator I know just how many shades of a colour people contrive) I hope things are good at your end!

The pictures I have tells me the shade, it's the same shade every time for the species concerned. I.e. C. paleatus. This may differ across the genus.

Technically it's a light pastel grey, but it's white!

I've never known a female to lay eggs alone but I've always had a mixed group. Once separated I have never witnessed additional eggs in the Isolation tank.

As I understand it, the female receives milt in the T position, then produces eggs which are internally fertilised, these then get deposited around the tank, then she goes back for more milt and begins again. The male has to work hard for the female to accept his initial "invitation"
This I have observed countless times over the years but I will be conservative and say 60 times just to put a figure on it.

(I realise these are bronze)

A couple of the eggs seem to have very fine tiny hairs on them. Is that a bad sign?

Just got up this morning and half of the eggs look transparent. What does this mean?

They are so tiny it's hard to tell. What do u think?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393675447.979655.jpg

Are they hatching? It's been long enough. The eggs look empty rather than dead. You can get fry food for egg layers, start feeding now.

It is tricky to gauge from that picture, given the time span of the thread I would go with hatched. Look in the gravel in the areas directly below the egg site. (Take at least 30minutes)

Do not disturb the gravel at this point.

Normally you see just one. Once your eye is trained to the fry, they should start appearing all over. I assume you removed the fish and filter? Add air stones. Filter intakes are not fry friendly. I have clear instructions on egg care elsewhere. I think you will find some more answers there. Don't give up! When you do, all of a sudden baby fish!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f44/new-fish-house-284360.html

There is a picture of fry somewhere near the end. It is the youngest I've managed to shoot. It is the only place this picture is kept. Basically before this picture they are near invisible. Shot in bare bottom tank.

I don't have an air stone so I've left my filter on :/ oops. I'll keep looking around and think of something to cover my filter with

Ahh, I went on the basis, you've been to home base or wherever, got a tub with fish in and the tank of eggs?

The filter should follow the fish (nitrogenous waste) it will keep them alive.
The air stone is sufficient to raise fry for 6-8weeks. Then something simple like a Fluval 1 (I suggest that because it's what I use but any similar sized thing will do the job) until you need it place it in the tank with the fish, this will ensure the various nitrobacter colonies have had time to develop in the filter.

In cases where I've left the eggs in tank with fish and filter, few survive, even less grow up. Until they are bigger than the open mouth of your biggest fish they count as dinner.

Edit- you could use an air powered sponge filter.

I just managed to get a few amber eggs into a floating cup in my tank so I'm hoping at least 1 survives. I've tried to look for the fry at the bottom and I'm not sure if I can see them or if it's just a bit of fluff of another egg lol

Ok I've managed to save 6 fry and have them in my floating hatchery but does anyone know how I can clean up the left over food?

They are far too small to get in a net so I can't move them

Back
Top Bottom