Snail has a cracked shell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerseyGirl1385

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have my snail (Mr.Clean) in my 5g fry tank and I noticed today during my PWC and changing decor that he has a pretty large crack on his shell.
Anyone know anything about it?
I've attached a picture of the snail as well as the tank with the new decor AND a picture of the fry.
They're 4 weeks and 4 days old!!!

Attachments

• image-4137391295.jpg
    image-4137391295.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 95
  • image-2172822888.jpg
    image-2172822888.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 85
  • image-3403728295.jpg
    image-3403728295.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 80
When my daughter was a teen she has a huge apple snail. He broke his shell similar to what yours looks like. What we did since another daughter was a vet tech she went and got a tiny tube of surgery glue (your vet if you have one should be able to give you a tiny amount), we let the snails shell dry but taking him out of the water then carefully held his shell together, applied alittle surgery glue to another piece of shell (we got and cleaned from snail shells the racoons had pulled from the pond and killed), and literally glued the repair shell right over the broken shell. Surgery glue is kind of like super glue as it drys very fast. He went on to live many more years. I can't tell but can you see flesh in the open break or is it just a crack. Shells can help themselves but with an open flesh exposed break infection can set in. Check on line as I know there are different ways you can fix shell breaks.

Last edited:
Oh just remembered you can use pieces of dried egg shells for the repair job if you can't find a snail shell or thin clam shell like you can find at alot of craft stores. Just be sure not to get any glue on the snails skin.

Yep. I fixed one of my snails shell as stated above but I used egg shells that I cleaned really well. She is still rocking it around my tank.

Back
Top Bottom