Snail ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niki86

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone help me ID This snail it came on my plants...also will it eat my plants? How about reproduction? If you know anything about them please share :)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399148174.070806.jpg

Should I take it out of my tank fI and when I see him again? I don't want him or his offspring eating my plants.

Definitely a pond snail. The are also known as tadpole snails, and bladder snails. They are the most common snail hitchikers on plants. I consider them harmless to beneficial. Some consider them pests.

They lay clear, jellylike, egg masses on plants. One snail is all you need to have babies, though if you have more than one you may see them mating. Mine lived through cycling my tank. I don't make pains to care for them, but I don't purposely kill them either. They breathe air, carry a bubble of air with them, and sometimes take a quick ride to the surface. They can also crawl upside down on the underside of the surface.

I did have an initial population explosion when my tank was cycling, but once I added fish an equilibrium was reached. They eat algae. If the algae is well adhered to the plant they may eat some of the plant as well. I don't have a problem with this. To me they are just part of the balancing act that is plant and tank care.

Yep, looks like a pond snail. I have a few in almost all my tanks, except my Dwarf Puffer tank as those little buggers make quick work of them.
I enjoy having snails in the tanks, although the reproduction rate can be a little crazy sometimes. Never had any issues with them eating plants. If you're not sure just pluck the little guy out!

Thanks for the info guys, I do like him but I was concerned about more babies and my plants. I haven't seen him since and that's ok for now, I haven't made up my mind if I'm going to keep him.

Do you know how big they get?

In most cases less than 1/3 in long. I have had a few get a little larger than that. I call those my senior citizens.

Pond snails wont eat your plants unless the leaf on the plant is dead or dying so you really have nothing to worry about. They are completely harmless and in my opinion an essential piece to a healthy successful tank

Back
Top Bottom