Snail Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmthepainter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello could somebody please tell me what kind of snail this is and also if it is bad for my planted tank. I have recently noticed a bunch of them starting to appearImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395876895.322087.jpg

Assassin snail? I don't know if it is bad for planted at though. I haven't setup a planted tank yet. It is on my to do list though. I've read that certain snails breed like rabbits and need better parental supervision to control numbers in the tank.

I believe that this is actually a pond snail they can be come pest very quickly if not removed and I think I have heard that they eat plants but in my experience they are fine in a planted tank. I just don't like to look into a tank and see glass cover with snails. I would remove it unless your into that type of thing.

Hello. Thanks. I thought it was a pond snail as well. I removed a few of them and fed them off to my oscars
I may get an assassin snail just one to add to help eliminate any other ones
Thanks again

I have had pond snails for about a month. I have removed a few but basically have just let them be. I have heard that if you don't overfeed your fish, the population of your snails won't get out of hand.

I have seen them on my plants, but I don't believe they are eating them.

They are definitely pond snails. They are pests and usually grow and reproduce in a very fast rate. But with little food they will die off. They will sometimes eat the plants with more tender leaves. Mine have at least so I add assassin snails to all my planted tanks because I don't want plants with holes in their leaves.

Assassin snails are actually pretty good, because they eat the snails that come from plants u buy at the pet store

I heard that it is best to only get one assassin snail because if you get two, you may end up with an infestation of assassin snails. Is this true?

I don't think that they can eat detritus like regular snails so when the pond snails are under control the numbers of the assassin snail should remain low because there wouldn't be enough food (pond snails) to supply a big population of assassin snails. So only the ones that eat can survive. I hope you understand this I couldn't think of the right wording.

Assassins will breed if they are well fed, I started out with 4 (3 months ago) now I have atleast 30 ranging from tiny tiny to almost full grown, I find them beneficial in that they are constantly through the gravel getting all the uneaten food, they stay off the glass for the most part and they look pretty cool.. Oh yah! The whole watching 6 of them take down a hugeeeee rams horn snail is always fun;)

Back
Top Bottom