Snail infestation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sa1nt02

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi i have a 55g freshwater I planted some plants a month ago and have a huge snail infestation how do i get rid of them

You can fight fire with fire, or in this case, snails with assassin snails. I believe there are some fish that love to munch on snails as well. Also, make sure you don't overfeed your tank, add this will only encourage the snails to reproduce. Good luck!

Your probably not going to find many AA members who recommend eliminating snails with chemicals. It can destroy your bacterial bed and adversely affect your fish.
Careful feeding, thorough gravel vac. And removal by hand is one option.
Predatory fish, "new world cichlids, loaches, botias" or certain snails is another.
A couple of years ago I had a massive snail invasion after adding a few plants. So many snails that you could see the gravel moving as they were tunneling through it. I bought a pair of juvenile Festae cichlids. Within two weeks, no snails, fat Festaes.
A few snails won't hurt anything and are probably beneficial, if you are lucky enough to control their population through your weekly tank maintenance. That's relly a long shot.
Hope this helps.

Heard chemicals like excel, inverts apparently hate. Would be good for your plants too?
Maybe try and dose some of that and see what happens? You could overdose slightly to up the concentration but so this with caution as it could effect your fish.
There are articles online and probs people on here that OD slightly with it and fish are all okay.
Just do a bit of research into it before you opt for that option

I got hooked on Clown Loaches when I bought a few to deal with a snail infestation I got from Petco plants. Worked like a charm

Back
Top Bottom