Snail question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
What do mystery/apple snails do? Like, I know nerites eat algae, and assassins eat other snails, but other then sit there and look pretty, what do they do?

I feed my algae wafer supplements occasionally. But blanched zucchini, a leaf of lettuce, and even some blanched squash gets gobbled up in my tank REALLY quickly.
I only feed when I notice they are inactive from cleaning everything in the tank.

They are good for plants they eat only dead rotting plants so they are good for that

mfdrookie516 said:
They reproduce... they aren't really efficient at doing anything else IMO

They only reproduce if u have a male and female so that can be controlled lol

mfdrookie516 said:
My point was they don't do much of anything else

I know but some times that can scare people thinking that they are going to have an outbreak of snails that's why I said that

They lay their eggs above the water line, so they are really easy to get rid of the clutches if you don't want their offspring

HalfMoon B said:
They lay their eggs above the water line, so they are really easy to get rid of the clutches if you don't want their offspring

My 2 lay a clutch every like 2 days its aggravating...they hid one clutch so well that I didn't find it and the clutch hatched now I have hundreds lol it sux

xfactor6699 said:
My 2 lay a clutch every like 2 days its aggravating...they hid one clutch so well that I didn't find it and the clutch hatched now I have hundreds lol it sux

Which is exactly why I'm getting nerites lol.

They will still lay eggs, but they will only be fertilized and hatch in brackish water, so that is a safe bet ;)

HalfMoon B said:
They will still lay eggs, but they will only be fertilized and hatch in brackish water, so that is a safe bet ;)

Exactly! I was just curious what the mystery and apple snails did lol... Which I now know isn't much. Thanks!

Yes, exactly. The eggs can be kind of a pain to remove, but with a razor blade it's pretty easy. :)

Back
Top Bottom