Snail safe loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calvin and Kyle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any breeds of loaches that won't eat them?

Aside from Khuli.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think the botia's are the big snail eaters but you might want to double check that

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Anything that is a "botiid" loach is not going to be snail safe. Rule out anything in the family "botiidae" as it is almost guaranteed to destroy snails.

Fish in the loach family cobitidae (including kuhlis), on the other hand, are generally snail-safe in my experience.

The hillstream loaches also tend to ignore snails in my experience.

Well that's good to know and interesting. Aside from hillstream any further types anyone can list?

Well that's good to know and interesting. Aside from hillstream any further types anyone can list?

What I listed covers pretty close to all of the loaches. If you have any in mind, I can let you know how they would do.

The peppered loach belongs to the family Cobitidae and is safe with snails :) -sinibotia

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I have 5 kuhli loaches and tons of snails, they never touch them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oops just realized you said aside from kuhli lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Anything that is a "botiid" loach is not going to be snail safe. Rule out anything in the family "botiidae" as it is almost guaranteed to destroy snails.

Fish in the loach family cobitidae (including kuhlis), on the other hand, are generally snail-safe in my experience.

The hillstream loaches also tend to ignore snails in my experience.

+1 to this. Botia ravage snails.

If this tank is kept around 75 or lower then dojo loaches are an awesome loach. Active 24/7 and hilarious. I love the 2 I have. Though I wouldn't recommend any lover than a 40 breeder for them. 55+ is preferred.

Caleb

What sort of snails? Malaysian trumpet snails may go ok. Mine survive with yo yo's.

My yoyos (and other assorted loaches) used to eat every kind of snail I gave them, MTS included :lol: Even a whole big apple snail once.... the school descended on him all at once after a few days, it was morbidly fascinating.

My yoyos (and other assorted loaches) used to eat every kind of snail I gave them, MTS included :lol: Even a whole big apple snail once.... the school descended on him all at once after a few days, it was morbidly fascinating.

Haha yeah I love the way Yo-Yo loaches look but that is exactly what I am scared of happening. My nerite snails just do such an amazing job of keeping algae down I don't want to part with them.

Know what you mean :). I thought ramshorn might survive as I saw them griping onto a pebble to 'wall' themselves in but alas they went.

Haha yeah I love the way Yo-Yo loaches look but that is exactly what I am scared of happening. My nerite snails just do such an amazing job of keeping algae down I don't want to part with them.

Yeah, I never tried nerites but I doubt they would have survived in my 55 gallon loach growout with dozens of botiid loaches.... Peppered loaches should pose no problem though :) I'm a bit of a loach... enthusiast :lol: So I don't keep many snails, but anything in the same family as the kuhli loach- including dojo and peppered loaches- is generally snail safe.

Oh really? A golden dojo loach would also be safe?

Oh really? A golden dojo loach would also be safe?

Yes. No less than a 40 breeder though, preferably a 55g. My big one is above 7 inches long now. Wonderful fish though

Edit: mine has never bothered snails he just has a seriously lack of personal space and will knock them off whatever they are hanging on as he flies by ;)

Caleb

Last edited:
On a slightly different note.....do the nerites leave a slime trail on the substrate? I am considering them for a future tank for algae control, but I am not fond of see the slime trails.

I have not seen any slime trail from them so my guess is no. They are by far my favorite snail.

Which I should specify I have zebra and track nerite snails.

Back
Top Bottom