Snail !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christopherlh84

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just found a snail in my 10 gal planted tank I believe it's a trumpet snail but I read they can multiply fast any way of getting rid of them?

Why is this snail bad? Im just asking because people freak out when they see a snail in there tank, but when i see one it fits into the tank.

Anyway, snails in general can multiply fast, some need pairs and others need Only themselves.
So if you really want to kill it just put a piece of lettuce or cucumber into the tank overnight to catch it and any friends, then just take the food out and throw it away( or into a compost)

Thanks I was looking online and I was thinking of getting a snail eating snail. I with you on the snail make it look natural but I have read that trumpet snail can become a pest more than a friend.

I think your going a bit extreme. The "snail eating snail" needs lots of snails to eat. They only eat small ones 1-2 a day. But once all the snails are gone then they need to be fed or returned.

Personally i would think of this snail as a positive thing. And most snails adjust there population to the amount of food available.

If you really want to just get rid of it, scoop it out when you see it. If its only he one then there is most likely more.
All snails do is eat algae not much to make a huge difference, but they have almost no bio-load on the tank

Thanks I am new to the planted tank world so I have never had this before.

Haha welcome! At one point you'll realize the plants are just as important as the fish! Its like stocking the tank twice! Haha so much fun.
Anyway, i guess that its how you see the snails

Pests because there not part of you "stock list"

Or welcome into the family as an important member of the ecosystem.

Just be sure to watch the snail population. If it gets really large then you may be feeding too much or there is a lot of algae. If here is little to none then your stock it getting all the food.

Back
Top Bottom