snails every where

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anikonslr

Aquarium Advice Regular
okay i bought some live plants and now i have snails every where. what is the best way to get rid of them. its a 55 gal with guppies and bn plecos. any ideas?

I've tried Coppersafe, it did nothing, maybe killed a few random snails. If you're not opposed to snails in general, I can't say enough good things about Assassin snails, they DEMOLISHED the pond snail population and it's only been two weeks so far. I'm not sure they'll 100% eradicate the snails, but they've certainly got things very under control, and just a few pond snails are actually beneficial to the tank.

Try doing a really thorough gravel siphon, there will be more, the more excess food is in your substrate.

You will only get a snail explosion if you overfeed the tank. Get yourself a few assassin snails and they'll have the problem cleaned up in no time. Or, you can hand pick the snails out. Put a lettuce leaf on the substrate at night and in the a.m., you can dispose of the leaf and all the attached snails.

Lonestarbandit said:
Clown loach / yoyo loaches. They love snail snacks and are great fun!

Clowns need 125 gal tanks but yo-yos would work great

emerald76 said:
Clowns need 125 gal tanks but yo-yos would work great

img_2007674_0_85bd1b7642c461d7fc8013bedbf3bff6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom