Snails in my tank?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ViolistRichard

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just checking out my fish today and noticed a little brown cone shaped snail! I don't know where he came from as I didn't put snails in my tank. My tank is still relatively new (a little over 2 weeks old) and in it's cycling stage. But all I have in there are fish (2 rosy barbs, 2 dalmation mollies, rubberlipped pleco, and a betta). Where did this snail come from? And are there potentially more? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

It could have come in the bag with the fish. Did you dump the water from the bag in the tank?
Sounds like it might be a malaysian trumpet snail, and they are actually good. But then again it might be a pond snail, and I am pretty sure you don't want those.
Also, I don't think I would keep that betta in there with those fish. :(

Should I take the snail out of the tank? My betta has been ok so far with the other fish, if I see any problems with nipping I will definitely take him out. :)

That is most likely a Malaysian Trumpet Snail. I would keep it, those cute little critters! Did you dump the water from the fish store in the tank? If so, that may be the cause. And yes, there might be more. I don't think he will be much harm if he isn't a pond snail. You could just put him in a jar and watch him grow, hey, IT'S A FREE SNAIL!! Ha Ha, awkward, I'm buying snails today, I wish they were free lol. Ummmmm..... Oh, if you scroll over abbreviations with dots under them, then it will show the meaning. lfs is local fish store. Just a heads up. Hope this helps!:onfire:

Back
Top Bottom