Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WayBel2004

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can someone give me some advice on what type of snail I can get for my 20 gallon high tank?

Current residents: 1 dalmation molly, 4 platys, 2 ornate rainbows, 1 swordtail and 1 bristlenose pleco.

Any advice would be appreciated. :D

I have an apple snail in my 30 gallon and he does really good :)

So I can get just one single snail? I was concerned about them breeding to much and over running my tank. But if I can just get one that wouldn't be a concern.

I'd be concerned about getting an apple snail for your tank. I've seen where apple snails can grow as large as a tennis ball - up to 6" (but that really is just my opinion). Mystery snails (darker shell) would fit better in my opinion. They will grow to about 2" max. The one problem I've seen is that the various types of snails are often mislabeled at many LFS's, so be careful.

A single Nerite snail would work great in your size tank, they are great algae eaters.

The only thing that I would be concerned about when getting one is that if you have enough algae to support both the Bristlenose pleco and the Snail (By having configuring algae and a supplement of algae wafers). Personally, Unless you are having some algae problems that the Pleco cant fix by itself, I wouldnt get one.

I'd just like to add +1 on the Nerite Snails!
If your interested in snails, Zebra Nerites are the way to go! They stay small, about an inch if I recal correctly, have a very attractive shell design, and are very excellent algae eaters.
If your Pleco is hogging all the algae supply your snail will be fine with some algae wafers.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Nerite snails also don't lay fertilized eggs in freshwater. ;)

I have a mystery snail, she is the size of a golfball and I LOVE her to death! She's awesome.

Thank you for all of your advice. I have a lot of algae on my ornaments and fake plants that the pleco doesn't seem to be interested in at all. Would the snail be good in this situation? Do they climb or just stay around the bottom?

I supplement the pleco's diet with an algae wafer ever night at lights out and some zucchini once or twice a week. Would this also work for the snails?

My snails climb all over the place making everything nice and clean. I love those little guys. Not to mention they are fun to watch as they slide along the glass.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Cool. I think I'll pick one up this week. First I have to find a store that carries them.

I was just reading up on them and it says that they require PH over 8.0. My PH doesn't go over 7.0-7.2. Can I still get one?

Last edited:
Are nerite snails freshwater. The ones at Live Aquaria seem to be for saltwater only and require a high PH.

OK. I was confused. I saw a snail called an Olive Nerita snail for freshwater so I thought that maybe that's what you were talking about.

Olive Nerite snails and Zebra Nerite snails are two different snails. Because of the Zebra Nerites striped marking, they are sometimes labeled as Tiger Neritr Snails, though the correct name is really Zebra. They can be freshwater, and as previousy mentioned that is a plus that their eggs won't hatch in FW.
The algae in your tank seems sufficient, especially with those Algae Wafers, so your snail will have a sufficient diet.

And yes, they go on all surface areas in the aquarium, and are known to actually climb out.. So be sure your tank has a secure hood. If they try to escape that can usually mean that they are stressed from poor water quality.

Hope this helps!

Thank you Mandy. Since they can't multiply in freshwater I think maybe I will get a couple. I'll let you know how it goes.

Again thanks for the advice. You guys are great!

Tried 3 stores today and no one even knew what nerite snails were. All 3 tried to sell me mystery snails but I believe that they can reproduce without a mate so I decided not to get one.

Hopefully I will have more luck at Absolutely Fish about 40 minutes away when I go tomorrow.

I found nerite snails at a local petco. It's a good petco though they have workers who know their fish and even sell expensive salt water fish there...

I have put small amounts of salt in my water in order to help get rid of ick and the nerites seem to be reproducing...I guess a little bit of salt is brackish enough, but they have made a bright orange baby which is really cool....

Snails are fun and I wish I could get a few, but unfortunately I have a Clown Loach. :( I was given a mystery snail by accident when my Pleco was being bagged up at the LFS. Got home, noticed the little guy, added him to my tank, and within 5 minutes my Loach sucked him right out of his shell. Dude didn't stand a chance! lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom