Snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezimmer1990

Aquarium Advice Activist
My snails a re dying and I started out with like 8 snails and now I only have one or two! There are five empty snail shells on the bottom:( Can someone help?

Attachments

• image-1789899726.jpg
    image-1789899726.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 68
  • image-70008626.jpg
    image-70008626.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 82
What are your water parameters, what are you feeding the snails, and how big is the aquarium? It looks like you have pond snails, but snails normally don't die unless water parameters are out of whack.

What are water parameters? I have live plants in there with them to eat:p

The ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Research cycling an aquarium, as high ammonia and nitrites could be causing your snails to die. I believe these snails scavenge so you could try offering some fish food if you have any.

Offering fish food? How would I do that? Sorry I don't know alot about fish tank stuff. I've tested it before everything was fine!

If you have some flakes on hand, you can just take a pinch and put you fingers under the water before you release them. This makes them sink down to the bottom and will give your snails something to munch on. You could go ahead and start doing 40 to 50% water changes twice a week to make sure you aren't having any problems with ammonia, nitrites, or high nitrates.

But my goldfish find all the flakes left on the bottom and eat them all.

Have you tried feeding them algae wafers? You can try to hide wafers under plants or in caves so the goldies can't get to them.

I agree with absolutangel04. Apparently the gold fish are doing such a good job of keeping all the food eaten, the snails have nothing left. If you hid an algae wafer under the gravel, I think the snails should be able to get to it before the goldies.

are the goldfish eating them? goldfish are probably capable of sucking the snail from its shell

I bet they did because they skim the bottom of the tank looking for anything to eat and most of the snails stay on the bottom. :p

Back
Top Bottom