Snails!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunettebaby4571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I havent posted here in a while but I have a few snail questions. First of all my two apple snails have been VERY busy we have had three egg clutches layed in the last few weeks and the first one hatched yesterday (I am super excited!) But I might have to end up disposing of the other eggs and I dont know what I would do with all the snails that will come from that (other than my goldfish eating them hehe) but my question is I was reading about putting tums or cuttlebones in for the snails for calcium and their shells. What I was wondering and I couldnt really find much about it is that safe with my fish?? I have platies and mollies and three otos. Second question is it bad if my goldfish eats a few snails?? Im sure if he ate a ton it couldnt be good but maybe a handful here and there? I put plants in with the goldfish from time to time from another tank and most of the time there are either snails on the plants or there are pond snail eggs so I was just curious. And my last question is I have been finding a lot of empty pond snail and ramshorn snail shells mainly right below the heater. What could be going on? I am a bit over cautious when it comes to changing the water (atleast 3 times a week) so Im not sure what it could be. Its a 40 gallon tank also. Sorry that was so long winded I havent posted in forever so I just had a few questions building up that I couldnt seem to find many answers to elsewhere!! Thank you!!

Well the cuttlebone is fish safe to start with. Also Goldfish are fine eating snails. Petsmart cycles a goldfish through there tropical tanks to get rid of snails. And finally I dont know about the empty shells. You dont have assassin snails or any loaches do you?

Ok I just wanted to make sure it was safe for the fish before I went throwing stuff in the tank. And my goldfish loves eating snails that is for sure!! And nope just platys mollies and otos so Im not sure what is going on with them. Thank you!

Could my apple snails be the culprits to killing the other snails?! Last night I saw one of the apple snails doing something weird to a little pond snail but Im not sure if it killed it or anything.

Could be. When I got our snails, one was eating a small MTS at pets mart. I haven't seen that since I've put him in my tanks though.

Ok I am just trying to figure out the mystery haha guess I will have to start collecting the snails finger prints!! :) But what I have noticed is my male apple snail doesnt usually eat very much (that I ever see) but my female she races to the food. Like I put some zucchini and celery in last night for everyone and the male was on it for just a few minutes but the female ate the whole center out of a piece of zucchini . It seems like the only thing the male is ever worried about is pestering the female!!

Hmmm sounds like he's picked up some human traits then...

Back
Top Bottom