Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rick050

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A friend of mine has asked me to post this he has a 200 ltr tank and has this problem he has 4 clown loach and dosnt want an assassin snail any ideas ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389773498.724864.jpg

Those are Malaysian trumpet snails which are pretty harmless (in fact many people like them as they do a good job of sifting substrate and eating leftover organic bits). To decrease their numbers your friend can decrease the amount of food he feeds his fish and maintain consistent maintenance on his tanks (specifically gravel vacuuming and algae removal). There are also a number of DIY snail traps available (just google DIY aquarium snail trap) that are very effective. This is an aside note but 200l is too small for clown loaches so hopefully he's planning to upgrade them to new homes as they get larger.

I had a feeder goldfish that was great for keeping snail populations in check. Gave it to my SIL when she had so many snails they covered EVERYTHING. Gobbled all the small ones up and only 1 or 2 big ones eventually lived. Might be worth a try. They are pretty cheap! ($.15-$.30) (y)

Back
Top Bottom