Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow so expensive, buy at lfs

Sent from my fish tank

They were about $1.50 for me to buy at my LFS.

If assassin snails kill snails how do they not kill each other? Just something to think about

Sent from a pelipper

Species recognition... They can tell each other apart, whether it's by taste, smell, or whatever I don't know but I do know they eat other snails.

They will climb on top of the other snail's shell and stick their trumpet looking appendage inside the other snail and eat it alive. It's quite a gruesome way to go.

My assassin snail's handywork. My flow was situated in such a way that all the empty shells blew to that one corner.

75748-albums12252-picture56656.jpg

Lol mebbid. That's a perfect visual summation of assassin snail handiwork.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Won't the assassin snails just breed and cause more snails in the tank?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

They don't breed as fast as pest species

Sent from my fish tank

I put in assassin in my tank. I think the ponds ate him cause he disappeared after a week lol

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Get a small fish net and cut the handle off, then put a sliced cucumber inside (or lettuce etc.) and wait for an hour to a day, they should have gone into the net and you can easily discard them. (Zit his advice was given to me from a very experienced fish/aquatic animal owner)

Luv4bettas

You can take your fish out of your tank, then put chlorine in with the snails. Then when they die clean the tank and decorations and gravel and clean them VERY well and make sure there are no egg sacs or living snails

You can take your fish out of your tank, then put chlorine in with the snails. Then when they die clean the tank and decorations and gravel and clean them VERY well and make sure there are no egg sacs or living snails

It's a bit extreme to completely reset your cycle just to kill some snails.

Get a yoyo loach, it completely worked for me. He got rid of all of them and now he's a cool bottom feeder to have. I have one in the 30g tank and he's great. Unfortunately I had to go through a few of them before I got them to feed for some reason. But I've had this one for a few months.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425151534.623890.jpg

I also don't kill the snails, I just leave them alone and I've seen less and less.

So if you get an assassin snail, and he eats all the snails, did I read earlier in the thread that there is something besides snails that you can feed them? I've come close to getting an assassin but I don't want to have to breed snails once the tank is clear of them.

So, am I hearing that Mystery Snails will not multiply like the others? I have 4 and wouldn't want an implosion, but I would like a few more.:huh:

Cancel. Replied to wrong thread

Sorry meant to reply in a different post but couldn't get to the cancel option will I ever learn.

So, am I hearing that Mystery Snails will not multiply like the others? I have 4 and wouldn't want an implosion, but I would like a few more.:huh:

Mystery snails lay their eggs above the water line. Mine lay a ton of eggs but even with my efforts to get them to reproduce the eggs never hatch, you don't have to worry about a sudden boom in your mystery snail population.

Back
Top Bottom