snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got some snails in my planted tank. I regularly take them out but there're always some left. What can I do? Thanks

There are two things we have tried with succses. There is a product called snail away that has helped but if your tank has many you would be better off getting a pair of Clown Loaches as they will eat the snails.

The snails if kept in check will not cause any real harm and may even help keep the tank a little cleaner eating algae.

When the lights have been out for awhile look at the glass and you can get an idea as to how big the snail population is, And you can use a net to get some of them out.

dumb question about snails...

when they outgrow their shells do you need to provide them with a bigger one?

..and what's with this thread? do they multiply or something? :lol:

Snail shells grow with them. Hermit crabs are the only thing I know of where they actually switch shells as they grow.

Snails mutiply pretty rapidly, unless you have some fish that will eat them. I hear clown loches will clear out snails in a hurry, but have never tried this myself.

Personally, I believe snails in a plant tank are a good thing, but some people dont want any. My tanks have pond snails, ramshorn, and malaysian trumpet snails.

Malaysian trumpet snails are particularly useful in a planted tank, as they spend the daylight hours in the substrate. This helps keep the substrate from compacting and forming dead zones.

Back
Top Bottom