Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That does seem a little high for calcium. I'm not sure of the number but too high will cause problems.

As alk has been an issue in this system in the past, it was really simple to dose since I already have an alk mix sitting on my shelf. Today's reading was 134...which should be 7.5.

Ended up gluing the bottom of the oregon tort to avoid further tissue loss. We'll see how it goes from there.
It is also that time of the year to order more media to keep the phosphates low. Anyone have any interesting input? I've used GFO and still hate it. Phosguard works well, but if phosphates are high can extinguish in a couple of days with no sign of being extinguished.

Ended up gluing the bottom of the oregon tort to avoid further tissue loss. We'll see how it goes from there.
It is also that time of the year to order more media to keep the phosphates low. Anyone have any interesting input? I've used GFO and still hate it. Phosguard works well, but if phosphates are high can extinguish in a couple of days with no sign of being extinguished.

Why do you hate GFO? I just switched to rowaphos from the BRS standard GFO and I like it. Don't have to use as much and absolutely no rinsing required which are both a definite plus to me. My phosphate seems to stay at 0.0ppm which makes me a happy camper. I had phosphate problems in the past before the use of GFO. I have also heard really good things on the High Capacity GFO.

I've used both gfo from brs. Just can't seem to tumble it right I don't think. Always looking for something easier or better. One of the reasons I've been reading about vodka and vinegar dosing that also stumbled me into zeovit.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've used both gfo from brs. Just can't seem to tumble it right I don't think. Always looking for something easier or better. One of the reasons I've been reading about vodka and vinegar dosing that also stumbled me into zeovit.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yea occasionally ill have to make a slight adjustment on my valve to keep it tumbling right, but for the most its set and forget. What reactor do you have?

BRS' dual reactor. Should have gone with two singles, but live and learn.
Ahh, that would probably be why. Looks like a great idea, but kinda messes up the flow. I have the BRS single. Haven't had any problems with it. Only complaint being the mounting bracket not holding it level.

Their brackets aren't bad. I've seen much worse on filtration for in line waterlines. The one in my basement is awful. The BRS units really spoil you with their quality overall.

Their brackets aren't bad. I've seen much worse on filtration for in line waterlines. The one in my basement is awful. The BRS units really spoil you with their quality overall.

No doubt. Mine is built like a tank for a reactor. It really doesn't need to be as thick/heavy as it is, but hey I suppose it ought to last. I di like that about it. The bracket on my single is made of good quality materials, it just doesn't hold my reactor level. I've been meaning to build a brace to level it up but haven't got around to it. No buggy, very satisfied with all of my purchases from BRS.

Alk currently at 126. That is just a bit above 7.
What to report you ask? Well, looks like the purple rimmed danae is dead and RTS on the tort, an orange setosa frag, and the pink milli. Used glue to try to stop the RTS.
All I can say is thank god for water change day. After a handful of 16 hr shifts, I wouldn't have noticed if it was earlier in the week.

Edit: I continue to have interest in an ATS. Attempt to build one last time has failed. Is anyone aware of someone who makes them?

No I don't. I was just reading in some downtime about different export methods. It is really interesting, just not sure if the price is right on that one without ever seeing it in action sort of deal. That and what I have going is already going.

No I don't. I was just reading in some downtime about different export methods. It is really interesting, just not sure if the price is right on that one without ever seeing it in action sort of deal. That and what I have going is already going.

Right. It looks pretty pricey but I haven't seen any prices on all that stuff. It looks like there is alot to it, buy pretty interesting indeed.

In other news, I tested alk again before I went to work. 146. That is just about 8. The LPS look pretty happy about it.
As for the SPS that were showing tissue loss, it looks like the glue solved things for the pink milli. The oregon tort needed some more love. Had to clip the top and a little arm off that were bleaching. Glued them off as well as on a spot that I missed at the bottom where it continued to recede. That should take care of my tort.

Water change day and some minor algae removed from the baffles. Dosed one pump of alk into the tank and it then tested out to 133. So, roughly, went down ~20ppm in 5 days.

Post some update, if you haven't already, I would really like to see how your tank is doing. :)

Sent from my A0001 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom