snowflake eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_fanatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
How big do snowflake eels get and is it at all possible to put one in a 20 gallon tank. Also if it is possible, would 1 maroon clown be able to be in the tank.

thanks

well over two feet in total length.

Not recommended simply because of the amount of bioload they produce. They are very dirty eaters its less of a mater of providing moving room since they will spend 99% of their time in a cave but more a mater of bioload and filtration ability.

The maroon will become a meal for the eel unless the maroon is significantly larger than the eel is in diamater.

they get around 2 - 3 feet and a 20gal is too small.
they do produce a large bio-load , mine wasnt a dirty eater, and only spent about half of the time in one of the caves. it will eat your fish if it can fit in the eels mouth

Yes, its true about him eatting your small fish, but if you have excellent filteration you should not worry about the bio load. I do believe that you need a larger tank at least 50 gallons because of the size that it gets. I have one and its called Randell. It funny becuase he was my first addition after my tank cycled 8 months ago and in one week I went from 10 Damsels to 4. He ATE THOSE SUCKERS

I have a 45G tall being filtered by a Filstar XP3 (A bit overkill), will have some live rock on it (want to grow some marine plants and macroalgae) and base rock. I have sand in it (about 50 pounds), 2.8 watts/gal of PC lighting, and DIY moonlights (which worked out well!). Would a snowflake be happy with this tank? It would be the only resident (Species only tank). Also could I get some crabs or anything (to help control the algae growth) or would the eel eat them as well? Thanks

Thanks RodneyCK, definately awesome of you to find that site. I will soon be going to the LFS (after these dredded exams) and start searching for something like the ghost eel (the speghetti seemed a little too frail for a first time SW, even with 3 years experience with advanced FW and BW tanks! :p ) - I read the different species and now won't be duped by the LFS into thinking that a certain eel can fit in my tank when its supposed to have like 125 gallons!! tee hee it will be the only thing keeping me from buying without hesitation! :mrgreen:

Glad to help.

I love that site just for the species information alone. You are correct, there are a lot of LFS out there that are more forcused on the "sale" than what would actually benefit your tank.

Just recently, one LFS tried to sell me a trigger fish after telling them I had a peaceful tank, 2 clownfish and a butterflyfish. I would imagine the look on my face was something like this.. 8O

LOL.

I'm no fool... :D , well not all the time. :lol:

RodneyCK

HAHA, well in gainesville florida there are two LFS for marine stuff, one that is absolutely great and only does marine stuff and the other does both but is very shoddy and are not so great fish caretakers IMO, but they have a lot more eels, if not are the only ones who have eels. Hopefully one of them has an eel that can claim my tak as his home, and if not I may find the valentini puffer to have it as a home instead.. it would appreciate my marine macroalgae/plants more I bet :p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom