So carbon is a no no in a planted tank right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually the carbon and the product you show preform two different services. The reason most people don't normally use carbon in their planted tanks is that it removes traces minerals from the water. Cheap brands can also leach phosphates. And since most planted tank people do more frequent and larger water changes than most fish only people do we don't have a problem with DOC buildup. You don't need to buy the BioMax as it will just do the same thing your sponges will do.

I haven't run carbon in any of my tanks in almost a year now. Everything is working great. I keep a small box on hand in case I need to use it after running a course of meds. In that case just get some old nylon panty hose make a little sack a plop it in the HOB.

I run aquaclears as well.

Rex Grigg said:
Actually the carbon and the product you show preform two different services. The reason most people don't normally use carbon in their planted tanks is that it removes traces minerals from the water. Cheap brands can also leach phosphates. And since most planted tank people do more frequent and larger water changes than most fish only people do we don't have a problem with DOC buildup. You don't need to buy the BioMax as it will just do the same thing your sponges will do.

cool, so i don't need to buy it then. What do you use to filter your tank man?

I use filters with carbon in my planted tanks, but it's very little. Carbon only works for about 72 hours before it's ineffective.

Which tank? I have six. On the larger tanks I run Rena Filstar cannister filters. On the other planted tanks I run AquaClear filters. On my one non-planted tank I have a Penguin 125.

The sponge is all you'll need in a Aquaclear. However, I use to put some floss (pillow stuffing) in the top area for finer filtration on my now semi-retired Aquaclear 200. I'll use it again in a non planted tank. It didn't really catch enough of floating detrius for me in a planted tank... so I went with a Rena Filstar, which is a really nice canister filter. So easy to service and tons of media storage.

PK Tester said:
Since when do plant tank owners do frequent and large water changes?

Since Python came out with it's no spill.

Changing water is so key to success. I change 50% weekly in my planted tanks. 25% daily in my discus tank.

I always have. But then again I'm running high light, CO2 injected tanks and add lots of fertilizers.

I also do the 50% once a week changes on my planted tank. I've read that it's better to fertilize gradually, but I sometimes forget to feed my fish, so I fertilize right after a water change. I do use carbon in my tank, though. I didn't use it for a while, but I might take it out...I don't know. Everything has been looking even better since I added a second filter onto the tank. I don't use a CO2 system or anything like that. I'd have to buy like 3 or 4 of them for my tank and I can't afford that. My plants are thriving right now.

25% daily? wow...

i've been thinking about picking up a python just for water changes. the bucket thing isn't the safest way to go during the winter. i'd be able to take it out easily enough with they python, but the pH of our tap water is so high that i can't refill the tank directly from tap (that, and the chlorine obviously)

So if you guys aren't running carbon in the canister filters, what kind of media are you using in there? I'm setting up a 29gal tank intended for planting and am just working on getting the setup right.

RE: Fifty Percent Water Changes

Ok, I'm impressed, fifty percent water changes every week! On a 60 gallon tank, I change out ten gallons every week. I use only RO water, which leads me to wonder why 50% is such a good thing. I'd be spending a lot of time getting my trace mineral level back up. My plants devour practically everything I put in. I'm always struggling to keep my KH about 8!

Back
Top Bottom