So I decided to start a Saltwater Tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UPDATE: Help, I was browsing the forums and noticed that The ammonia I used to start my cycle contained Ammonium Hydroxide and Surfactant. There was a thread I found that said the Surfactant was not good. Where should I go from here? Start over.. rinse everything.. Not sure....

I would not be to concerned about the surfactant during the cycle! Maybe a WC might be a good idea

Still waiting on my test kit. I plan on carrying a water sample to the pet store tomorrow to get an idea of the levels. Test kit should be here Wednesday. Anyone might have an idea of the clear looking algae I mentioned earlier in the thread That looks to be on my live rock?

Sent from my LG-V500 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I couple tips to offer, firstly is a skimmer is a valuable asset. There are hang on models that would be ideal here. Also when it comes to buying or replacing anything (ie lights) keep it in the back of your mind to get something that is good for reef. At some point you will want coral even just a mushroom, be better to have the stuff and not be concerned then to buy the coral and realize you have to upgrade lights or something.

So my test kit arrived today. Here are the results. Any feedback would be nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1394658550465.jpg
    1394658550465.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 111
I suspect your cycle is nearing then end. Once you start seeing nitrates it's almost done. Just make sure to keep dosing ammonia and once it can go 24 hours and read 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites and only read nitrate then it's time for a water change and to add your first living thing.

So I decided against the 26 gallon bow front in favor of a 40 gallon breeder. Here is the current situation. Please overlook my shoddy aquascape. The light is a Coralife HO 36 inch Aqualight. It came with (1) 10,000k 39 watt bulb and (1) actinic blue light 39 watt. Is this light ok?

Sorry I forgot to post the picture.

Attachments

• 1394922091671.jpg
    1394922091671.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 99
LoL scared me there for a second. I don't plan on having coral for a while. How much pure ammonia should I be using to dose during my cycle. I'm sure I'll be starting over now that I moved everything from one tank to another. I used the same sand water and rocks but I had to add more sand and water. Still need another 10 lbs of rock as well.

Dose it up to 5-6 ppm let it fall dose it back up and when ammonia and nitrite fall to 0 you should be good. Test it by dosing up to 1-2 ppm and see if it turns to nitrates in 24 hrs

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful information you have shared so far. I have yet another question. Is a single 700 GPH Aqueon Powerhead enough for my 40g? I'm not sure if I have any dead spots or not. Would 2 smaller ones be better? What would be your recommendations?

I always prefer 2 smaller ones as opposed to 1 large one. Gives you a more random flow

This is what I'm thinking as well. How about keeping the larger one and adding a smaller one on the opposite side. Do you think that is a viable option?

Thanks so much for keeping my thread in your scope Bigredsreefs10. Wouldn't have gotten this far without you (even though I'm not too far).. I know this post is a little OT but I thinks its warranted.

Here are the current results from today's test. Do I need to do a water change?

Attachments

• 1395355439881.jpg
    1395355439881.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 76
Back
Top Bottom