So I fell in love with 2 pitiful bettas...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just had to bring them home despite their pitiful state. The male seems to have a bit of finrot. And the female is pale with a few strange, dark spots. I just want to see if I can get them happy and healthy.

image-2997580180.jpg

image-2727377090.jpg

The male has a gorgeous lavender or periwinkle color to his fins and a pink/peach colored body. I can't wait to see how he looks once he's healthy. He's not very active yet.

image-3839200418.jpg

The girl looks like she might turn red. Can't wait to find out. She's very active and inquisitive.

Just thought I'd share my Betta adventure with you all!

They sure are sweet. The same thing happened to me last weekend :lol: two females. I am already very attached :love: one of mine has red gills and red-streaked fins and horizontal stripes so I'm guessing the poor thing has been to heck and back. :ermm:
I hope both of our sets of fish experience an improvement in health...

Last edited by a moderator:
lelouchzeta said:
They sure are sweet. The same thing happened to me last weekend :lol: two females. I am already very attached :love: one of mine has red gills and red-streaked fins and horizontal stripes so I'm guessing the poor thing has been to heck and back. :ermm:
I hope both of our sets of fish experience an improvement in health...

Yeah, keep me posted on how yours do. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be interesting to see what colors they turn out to be. Your female could go red or blue it looks like to me. Or, she could just stay mostly white. I hope you can help them out. :)

In the picture, they look like pigmentation. Thats why I thought she may go blue. Do they look like pigmentation to you, or like something else?
Honestly, its hard to tell if the red is her pigment or is the result of ammo poisoning or chlorine toxicity or something like that.

The dark spots just look like black round spots but she does have a few little irregular bits here and there too. Yeah, I was wondering if the red was a bad sign. Her gill are so red it made me wonder. But she's acting pretty healthy, so hopefully she'll pull through.

The male is worrying me a little. He's got his own 10 gallon but he's mostly hanging around the heater. Haven't seen him eat yet. Guess we'll see.

Thanks Absolutangel!

Congrats! They look beautiful. They will be happy and healthy in no time!
I wish I could rescue all the poor bettas I see at the store. Just another reason to get more tanks. ;)
The spots looks like pegment to me to, though hard to tell by the picture.

Yeah, her gill plat is very red. Its hard to say if its an issue, or just her color. Time will tell I suppose. After all, if she did suffer from ammo poisoning in the past, about the only thing you could do would be to give her clean water anyways, and that what you are doing. :)

Starka said:
Congrats! They look beautiful. They will be happy and healthy in no time!
I wish I could rescue all the poor bettas I see at the store. Just another reason to get more tanks. ;)
The spots looks like pegment to me to, though hard to tell by the picture.

Thanks! :) I feel sorta guilty because by buying them, I'm perpetuating the whole pitiful Betta cycle. Note to self... Don't look the Bettas in the eye. 'Cause after that, it's all over.

Thanks! :) I feel sorta guilty because by buying them, I'm perpetuating the whole pitiful Betta cycle. Note to self... Don't look the Bettas in the eye. 'Cause after that, it's all over.
Thats my policy so I don't buy bettas in cups. Lol.

absolutangel04 said:
It will be interesting to see what colors they turn out to be. Your female could go red or blue it looks like to me. Or, she could just stay mostly white. I hope you can help them out. :)

Us and our bettas, eh?? :-D
Lucy looked very pale when I got her... I actually thought she was iridescent or turning white...

Day 1 (when I didn't know this was a betta torture chamber):
View attachment 75917

Currently:

View attachment 75915

View attachment 75916

View attachment 75918

As you can see, Lucy is happy in my 29g and has quite a personality :)

ocminpin said:
Us and our bettas, eh?? :-D
Lucy looked very pale when I got her... I actually thought she was iridescent or turning white...

Day 1 (when I didn't know this was a betta torture chamber):

Currently:

As you can see, Lucy is happy in my 29g and has quite a personality :)

Aww! She's so cute and pretty!

Today my female is doing great. Still active and eating. Unfortunately, the male isn't doing so hot. He's pretty much just resting on the bottom. I haven't seen him eat yet either. :(

Hholly said:
Aww! She's so cute and pretty!

Today my female is doing great. Still active and eating. Unfortunately, the male isn't doing so hot. He's pretty much just resting on the bottom. I haven't seen him eat yet either. :(

Awww... The poor guy... :-(
I've seen a betta with really bad fin rot turn around... Good luck to him.,,
They are both very lucky you swept them up into betta heaven... :)

Well unfortunately, the male did go to Betta heaven. I knew it was a gamble. He was just too far gone. :(

On the up side, the girl is doing pretty well. Her gills look a lot less inflamed today. She's acting like a Betta. :)

Well unfortunately, the male did go to Betta heaven. I knew it was a gamble. He was just too far gone. :(

On the up side, the girl is doing pretty well. Her gills look a lot less inflamed today. She's acting like a Betta. :)

Sorry to hear about the male, at least he didn't die in the litle cups they keep them in at the store.

Good to here abot the female. Hopefully she continues to heal.

Thanks. I took the male's body back to the store and they let me pick out another. This new one seems a little perkier. I also couldn't pass up this other female that was there the other night. She was still there and so cute. Not even an inch long. So I grabbed her too. Oh my. I have to stay out of the LFS.

Hholly said:
Thanks. I took the male's body back to the store and they let me pick out another. This new one seems a little perkier. I also couldn't pass up this other female that was there the other night. She was still there and so cute. Not even an inch long. So I grabbed her too. Oh my. I have to stay out of the LFS.

Oh my goodness... What do you do with all these little guys and how many tanks do you have??! :-D
I still can't get that one I really liked out of my mind either!

Back
Top Bottom