So I just added my first fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rjoepenk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just purchased four chocolate Mollies(y's?) to begin cycling my 64L tank. I have had the tank for one month exactly, and literally put the fish in an hour ago. The PH level of the tank is 7.0 exactly (I know that ideally Mollies should be in 7.5 PH water but have been told that a small variance won't matter) and I haven't fed them yet. Rather than waiting for something to go wrong I'd sooner try and root out any problems before they lead to the death of my fish. So, should the following things worry me?

At the store I got them at they were all pretty still and grouped together, but in my tank they keep splitting up before re-banding again and they can't seem to say still - is this due to them being in a new tank or should it not be happening?

They are spending a lot of time near the surface. They are not gasping for air or putting their heads above water, but is this normal?

They are staying in plain sight - shouldn't they be hiding in the various hidey-holes I have set up in my tank?

These concerns may arise from me being both a worrier and also being completely new to this, however I'd rather be sure that I'm doing things correctly rather than just assuming I am until something goes wrong.

Looking forward to receiving your advice :)

Yah I think you are good. Maybe you should feed them but I am not seeing anything wrong.

Ok, welcome firstly.

Now do you have a test kit? If so for all the amazing people on here to help you they will need to know your test results and how you have cycled the tank etc..

As for hiding I don't believe mollies are meant to hide, if they are anything like my guppies they are out and about looking for attention!
I would gues that your tank is muh bigger than the one they have ome from so they will be exploring their new surroundings.

well done for asking for adivce, just keep a check on the parameters, keep the water clean and fingers crossed everything will go ok.

good luck (y)

Hi folks

Maestro - I have bought a test kit but haven't used it yet, thought I should wait until the day after they have beun producing waste before reading the Amonia levels, or is that a mistake? Also, I dropped about 5 or 6 flakes in there and they wouldn't take them - they just constantly eat the algae in my tank. Is that normal behavior for Mollies? P.S. are you anywhere near Bangor? used to live there :D

Mumma - I have started cycling now; I haven't introduced fish for a month as apparently the water round here has a weird PH level and I wanted it to be properly adjusted before adding anything.

No I'm down in swansea! I would be testing every day in a new tank personally just to monitor.
I don't keep mollies so maybe someone who does can help omnicipin keeps lots so hopefully they will pick up on this thread

Hi folks

Maestro - I have bought a test kit but haven't used it yet, thought I should wait until the day after they have beun producing waste before reading the Amonia levels, or is that a mistake? Also, I dropped about 5 or 6 flakes in there and they wouldn't take them - they just constantly eat the algae in my tank. Is that normal behavior for Mollies? P.S. are you anywhere near Bangor? used to live there :D

Mumma - I have started cycling now; I haven't introduced fish for a month as apparently the water round here has a weird PH level and I wanted it to be properly adjusted before adding anything.

Are you testing your water?

I have been testing the water for the last few days now and the ammonia levels haven't gone above 0.2 which isn't bad considering I've had them nearly a week now. Should I perform a water change with the levels that low? They are taking the food I drop in now without any problems too and generally seem happy.

Back
Top Bottom