So my tapwater has ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mixer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so my tapwater has 1.0ppm of ammonia, straight from the tap. I have a 36G tank that is one week old, so it probably isn't cycled, however before I knew about cycling I put 2 platys, 2 mollies, and 1 ghost shrimp. The platys had babies and I think 3 of them are still alive and hiding. But I digress, so I tested my tank and it is 1.0 ammonia, 7.6 PH, nitrate 0, and nitrite 0. I am going to do a 20% WC tomorrow with water I bought from my lfs but it isn't really that local and I need to know what other sources I could use for water.

I am in fort worth Texas. Well a long post for my first, oh well.

Mixer

Testing with API freshwater master, and it was confirmed by lfs with same kit.

Most likely, your tap water has chloramine in it (which causes ammonia tests to read positive). Just use a good dechlor like Prime and you won't have any issues

No I don't think they will take them back. Also , does the ammonia dissipate over time? Could I get about 20 gallons and let it sit for hail then use it later?

Only thing I can think of id getting a API Tap water filter.
You have to use the ph adjuster and the electro right that comes with it.
This will remove all contaminates from the water.

Or you will have to fight you way through the cycle process.

Is there a way to remove the chloramine so the ammonia test is accurate? Is there a test for chloramine ?

I read the cycling info, but my concern is that with every PWC I will be putting more ammonia in than taking out.

Is there a way to remove the chloramine so the ammonia test is accurate? Is there a test for chloramine ?

Did you put in your water conditioner. It removes the chlorine, Chloramines in the water. But not ammonia.

Yes I did, ok so chloramine and chlorine same thing. Noted.

Yes I did, ok so chloramine and chlorine same thing. Noted.

That's tough with the fish in the tank. Your going to be putting ammonia in your tank every time you do a water change. You may have to use ammo chips or something like a ammonia detoxifier. To make it safe for the fish. IMO

No.... Chlorine and chloramine is not the same thing. As I previously said, your tap most likely has chloramine in it, which is causing a false positive result on your ammonia test. I have NEVER heard of tap water having ammonia in it.

I'm going purely off what I think I remember, so don't quote me on this... if I recall correctly, when dechlor works on chloramine, it converts it to ammonium, which is not toxic to fish. It still shows up on the ammonia test, but isn't ammonia. I may be wrong though, and chloramine just registers as ammonia period, still not toxic to fish though if you use a good dechlor.

EDIT: Ammo chips, zeolite, etc is a very bad idea. What can happen is it can eventually cause you to lose your cycle. If it is absorbing all of the ammonia, your beneficial bacteria start to die off because they don't have any 'food'. Eventually, your tank is relying on this to keep ammonia down, and when it gets full, or stops absorbing ammonia, you start having issues. Not knocking down hdultra, just throwing out some facts.

Last edited:
Is that a constant thing in your area with ammonia in the water.

Mine has .25 here but really has not been a problem for me.

To hurry up the process you may want to put a bacterial supplement, Like Dr. Tim's One and Only or other brands on the market. That will speed up the cycle process.

No.... Chlorine and chloramine is not the same thing. As I previously said, your tap most likely has chloramine in it, which is causing a false positive result on your ammonia test. I have NEVER heard of tap water having ammonia in it.

I'm going purely off what I think I remember, so don't quote me on this... if I recall correctly, when dechlor works on chloramine, it converts it to ammonium, which is not toxic to fish. It still shows up on the ammonia test, but isn't ammonia. I may be wrong though, and chloramine just registers as ammonia period, still not toxic to fish though if you use a good dechlor.

EDIT: Ammo chips, zeolite, etc is a very bad idea. What can happen is it can eventually cause you to lose your cycle. If it is absorbing all of the ammonia, your beneficial bacteria start to die off because they don't have any 'food'. Eventually, your tank is relying on this to keep ammonia down, and when it gets full, or stops absorbing ammonia, you start having issues. Not knocking down hdultra, just throwing out some facts.

Thanks man just trying to figure something out to help him.
Test mine yesterday was .25 How does it cause false positives ?

Ok so if my water has chloramine that gets converted to ammonium which gives me a false positive, how am I ever going to be able to know what the ammonia level is? Since my testing will be for naught.

Like I said, I cant remember exactly.... my google-foo is weak today as well. I'm pretty sure that Floyd R Turbo, or however his name is, posted that information. He's some kind of engineering superman and knows his chemistry pretty well. I'll pm him and see if he can add some chemical knowledge to this thread.

EDIT: Sent 3 pm's, so we'll see what they have to say. I don't want to lead you down the wrong road if I'm off in left field somewhere

Last edited:
So if I got an API tap filter would that remove all the stuff and bring me back to a point that the tests would be valid?

Ok so if my water has chloramine that gets converted to ammonium which gives me a false positive, how am I ever going to be able to know what the ammonia level is? Since my testing will be for naught.

Good question I'd like yo know that one too, Maybe it has some of the same chemical makeup?

Back
Top Bottom