So now i dose Macros one day and Micros the other....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atl300zx

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Vals are literally growing 3-4 inches a day, it is insane. How do you trim Vals? can i just cut the top off? Everything seems to be on the up and up and i have only been dosing correctly now for a week. :D

Still no pearling.

I do have one concern, my Crypt Wendtii is dropping leaves left and right, is this normal with a change in fertilizer dosing?

Crypts are very sensitive to changes in water quality. It doesn't matter if the change is for the better or not. Give it some time to adjust and it should stop loosing leaves.

Phew....on a side note, my Crypt Lutea sent out its first side runner, so i have a baby one of those :)

Also anyone know the answer to my previous Val question?

I think you can just trim the tops....but I have not grown Vals so i am not totally sure....I'm sure someone who has will chime in.

Glad to hear that everything is moving in the right direction! Don't worry about the crypts, they will freak out for a while and then be fine again. They are hardy and picky at the same time.

Oh, and just FYI, I found happy vals to be too prolific for my taste. They grow too fast so always need a trim and make too many babies.

So far I havent had a plant that has grown too fast for me, it is most likely b/c i always been doign something wrong....hopefully when i work things out i have that problem :)

Don't worry, you'll get it all in line soon enough.

*off topic*
What kind of 300zx ya got? I drive a '04 G35 coupe and love the Nissans.

thats awesome...whats your dosing schedule i want to see if it works for my tank?alspo what size tank you have?any pics?

Hoovercat said:
Don't worry, you'll get it all in line soon enough.

*off topic*
What kind of 300zx ya got? I drive a '04 G35 coupe and love the Nissans.

I have a 1990 300zx Nonturbo (for sale), 1992 300zx TT (500 rwhp), and a 2004 350z.

My dosing schedule is as follows:

MWF 1/2 tsp KN03, 1/8 tsp KH2P04, 1/8 tsp K2S04,

TuThSa1/8 tsp (CSM+B) Trace Elements

50% Water Change on Monday

I have a 55 gallon, Co2 injected (50 ppm), and 260 watts CF (i run 130 watts from 9-11am, then 260watts from 11-7, then 130watts from 7-9pm)

well sounds good only fert i dont have is csm+b:( o well i like the schedule just got to scale it down to my 10 gallon guess ill mod my schedule see how it works out ty:)

you can use flourish comprehensive for the micros since ur only dosing a 10 gallon. it wasnt economical for me with a 55 G

Tropica Plant Nutrition is the other good micro fert. Any of the three (CSM+B, Flourish Comprehensive, or Tropica Plant Nutrition) should provide good results.

You can just rim the Val to your heart's content. If you stick with your current setup and regiment I give you no more than 6 months before you throw all of your Val away ;)

It will take over your entire tank once or twice a week...

in all honesty, ur probably right....my wisteria was doing the same thing for a while, but for some reason it slowed down. I ended up just trimming it down to about 3 inches tall at the beginning of the each week :)

Crypts will often "melt" (meaning the leaves disintegrate) due to any changes (light, ferts, being moved etc.). They almost always come back even if all the leaves die. Just let it be.

Here is a picture of it. Is that dwarf hairgrass growing from the center? Will this harm it? it has been there since the day i got it and it used to be huge before changing my fert schedule.

crypt.JPG

As long as the roots stay firm, it will grow back. Just leave it alone. Often they grow back even larger and more beautiful than before.

Back
Top Bottom