So odd.... Ammonia levels going back down...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LT1FirebirdSLP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Temp 79°F
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
Nitrite, Nitrate, Chlorine, 0

So I did a water change when the tank hit about 4 ppm ammonia. A big one, after the change I did a test. 1-2 ppm. Closely monitored the fish, they all were ok. No red gill.

So heres the odd part. Ammonia dropped down to 0.25 ppm about 2 days after the fact.... Nitrites .... still 0.

From my understanding of the N2 cycle, as ammonia begins to go down, nitrites go up... then when nitrites start to go down, nitrates start to go up.

The tank has been going for 5 weeks now. Water changes every two days, 10 black phantom tetras, 1 snail, 1 pleco. Feed every 2 days.

Any advice? What to test? What to treat? What to check? I just want this N2 cycle to be over with so I can begin to add more fish.

Oh btw its a 28 gallon bowfront. Has filter system too with the pickup tube little propeller and a cartridge that goes in the filter.

Thanks in Advance!

Your cycle is progressing along it seems. It is a bit odd you haven't seen a 'trite spike yet, but perhaps, since you've been watching and changing water, it'll just be a small one.

Keep watching it exactly as you have been. I think things are going just fine based on what you're telling us.

Back
Top Bottom