Sock filter problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Photoevangelist

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my sock filter is overflowing. I usually scrub it pretty good and it starts overflowing the next day or so. It wasn't always like this. Started about two months in (one month ago). What should I be doing to make sure it's not overflowing like this. Checked plumbing and I've got it right where it should be.

image-4134606591.jpg

Granted in this picture I need to do some scrubbing.

get a bunch of new socks and rotate them in and out. You won't notice the buildup like you do using just one. :) How do you clean yours? I put a bunch into the wash, no bleach or anything with hot water and a double rinse every few weeks. BRS has filter socks for like $5 so it's not too expensive to get a couple.

I like the felt ones, they catch more gunk but have to be changed much more frequently. The mesh ones can last me 2 weeks or more but a felt one I need to change 2-3 times a week.

Thanks for the advice. How do you feel about DIY felt sock filters. There is a market near our apartment that sells fabric for cheap. They'd sew it to my specifications too.

I've been afraid to throw mine in the washer. There's probably traces of soap in it.

I buy a big roll of the material at wallmart.. Sew a bunch of socks on sewing machine and throw them away after I use them. I hate cleaning them I got tired of cleaning the socks so I just toss them in the trash every 4 days or so.

Back
Top Bottom