Soda bottle trick lost surface agitation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerryO

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I had the typical problem of my HOB filter being a little too powerful and creating a stronger current than I wanted so I went to the soda bottle trick and it worked great. Now the problem I am having is since I lost some surface agitation there is an rainbow oil like film on the top of the water. It is not thick and skin like like a protein film is, it looks more like a very thin oil (most likely fatty acids from the food).

Would an airstone help get things moving and break it up?

Since I have sand substrate would I need a suction cup type of air wand so it does not kick up the sand and have it end up in the filter?

I had the same thing on my betta tanks until I put a filter in there. When I had too much flow, I got some plastic craft mesh from Walmart and cut it to fit in front of the flow, therefore reducing it. I tied it around the back with fishing line. :) For a temporary fix, you can run a paper towel over the surface.
As for the air stone, my favorite one is my ceramic one that I got at PetSmart. It's about 2 inches long, white, and it has a suction cup to hang it on the side of the tank. It is my guppy and loaches playground LOL. ;)

I run airlines in all my tanks for the same reason, and most of them have plenty of surface agitation. I don't use airstones, though, they clog up and reduce the airflow volume, as well as putting more pressure on the pump diaphragms. I use the narrow plastic tube that came along with my UG filters and a suction cup to hold the airlines in position in the tanks.

Back
Top Bottom