Some Crayfish Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shiki

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,
So I setup a new 20 gallon tank and I want to put crayfish in it and (yes I'm being brave) fish.
I'm looking to do 1 blue cray, one white Specter.
So my questions are:

1. What are the best hides for them? I'm thinking cichlid rocks? What other suggestions?
  2. For other tank mates i'm thinking bloodfin tetras and Amano shrimp
Thoughts?

Crayfish are mean. I tried putting shrimp with my 2 and in less than a week they were gone.

I would do some fast fish like danios that they can't catch.

About any rocks or driftwood will do. One of mine hides under the sponge filter lol.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Crayfish are mean. I tried putting shrimp with my 2 and in less than a week they were gone.

I would do some fast fish like danios that they can't catch.

About any rocks or driftwood will do. One of mine hides under the sponge filter lol.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

What two do you have and what size tank?
And I have a 15 gal with 2 marbled crays and they like hiding under the moss ball or the green machine lol

What two do you have and what size tank?
And I have a 15 gal with 2 marbled crays and they like hiding under the moss ball or the green machine lol

It's just 2 wild caught babies in a 2.5g

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Try a 1" PVC tube from home depot. A favorite of all of my crays.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Shrimp will be torn apart, fish probably won't stand a chance (unless you do top dwellers)

i had a marbled cray with fedder goldfish for a while (i removed them because i didn't want the Goldies to eat the babies). but i would start with just the cray i have 1 in a 20 gallon and i love him i think the tank is better without fish. i would get the cray and then if that is not enough then you could TRY to add fish. the marbled crays are mainly vegetarian and not as aqressive as all the others, and they have smaller pincers so i would not put feeders in with white cray or any other because they would die.

I wanted to put a crayfish in a 2.5g but was told not too... What do you think?

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta

Since my last involvement with this thread one of mine became an escape artist so now I have one crayfish and a mystery snail. I keep live plants(hornwort, 1 shoot of anarchis, and Java Fern from my planted tank) with with him to soak up nitrates and he does just fine even though he will outgrow the tank one day. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430708335.006626.jpg

I did have mondo grass and bamboo in there and just moved them to pots today to see how they would fare.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430708400.379320.jpg

I do top offs almost daily and a cup water change every other day. He's happy I'm happy. Always roaming the tank now since the other one left.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430708548.406355.jpg

Caleb

Since my last involvement with this thread one of mine became an escape artist so now I have one crayfish and a mystery snail. I keep live plants(hornwort, 1 shoot of anarchis, and Java Fern from my planted tank) with with him to soak up nitrates and he does just fine even though he will outgrow the tank one day. View attachment 271592

I did have mondo grass and bamboo in there and just moved them to pots today to see how they would fare.
View attachment 271593

I do top offs almost daily and a cup water change every other day. He's happy I'm happy. Always roaming the tank now since the other one left.
View attachment 271594

Caleb

So id be fine putting one crayfish in a 2.5g with some caves and plants and do daily water changes? What kind of filter should I get? A sponge I'm assuming and some air stones?

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta

So id be fine putting one crayfish in a 2.5g with some caves and plants and do daily water changes? What kind of filter should I get? A sponge I'm assuming and some air stones?

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta

A sponge will be fine and yes daily water changes. Daily honestly isn't bad at all on a tank this size. I use a syringe to dose my prime for the tank accurately.

Others may disagree but I think a crayfish in a 2.5g is fine. Mine will outgrow the tank but something like a dwarf crayfish probably won't. If you have the option to go larger like a 5g I would. This is just a tank I spruced up because I had it laying around.

I have air stone just as decor and extra aeration. It's not needed really.
Caleb

Back
Top Bottom