Someone offering me their fish... Is it worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manoosie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, I am going to be receiving my order TODAY from bigals for all my freshwater equipment for my 55g. I decided against salt water becuase of its expense(mostly the fish), but an opportunity just came up. I dont know how much they plan on charging (could be close to nothing), but here are the fish she will give me:

1 yellow tang
2 blue tangs
1 Domino Fish
1 Porcupine puffer

Sounds pretty good for a 55g. I have nothing in my tank, and they want to get rid of their fish asap, so I could not cycle the tank. She said she would just transfer her water to my tank, and throw in a couple of Live rocks from the same tank. She has sand(which is alive), but I already bought some beautiful color quartz sand I would rather have in the tank. She thinks it would be ok on the fish if we put my sand, her water and rocks and fish into my tank. What do you think?

Another problem is that I have already ordered equipment. Bigals says I have to ship it back to them for a refund. I think the only returns I would have is the master test kit and the light. I know I need to buy some salt, is there anything else I need? I know its possible to get away with not having a protien skimmer. Here is what I bought:

2376 Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Phosphate Test Kit
2263 Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Fresh Hard/Carbon Test Lab
6083 Penn Plax Therma-Temp Floating Thermometer With Suction Cup 17840 Aquarium Systems Visi-Therm Stealth Heater-200 Watt
6481 Penn Plax Cascade 1000 Canister Filter $74.99
1360 Marina Nylon Net 8"
2018 Python No Spill Clean And Fill- 25'
4134 Python Glass Cleaner
16465 Marineland Aquarium Light Timer
1114 Fluval Pre Filter Media 25.5 OZ.
2305 Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit
19244 Seachem Prime 250 ml
13941 Coralife F/W T-5 Aqualight Double Strip Light-48"

Thanks for your help. I really want a sw tank, but if its going to cost a bundle its just not worth it. If all I have to do is return those two items and get some salt, I think I am in.

sounds like way too much fish for a 55 gallon. The equipment needs are indeed, different. the maintenance costs are also much higher in a salt tank.

What size tank is she moving out of? That looks like 120g worth of fish (especially with the porc puffer (messy eater). The porc puffer needs at least a 90g tank and can get up to 18"! That's probably the entire width of the 55, lol. You don't want a stressed out porc puffer! LOL!

The yellow tang and the damsel (if you'd even want that fish long term) are ok in the 55, but the 2 blues need at least a 70g tank.

I think I'd pass, personally.

2 fish in a 55g tank? Isnt that way to small a number? that would mean a 200 gallon tank would have 8 fish in it. I know you cant put as many sw fish in a tank as fw, but a 55g gets you 10-12 cichlids. 2 fish in a 55g seems unreasonable...

What If i didnt take the puffer? I think they are coming from a 110g, but I am not sure...

its not that you can only have 2 fish in a 55, it is the fact that the tangs require a lot of space to swim... more that a 55 gallon tank can provide.

also, there is a practical limit to the number of fish you can keep in a tank. typically it is quoted as length of fish... as in you can keep 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons of water. so, if you have a 55 gallon tank, you can have any number of fish, so long as the total ADULT length does not exceed 11 inches....

but keep in mind that this is only a recommedation. if you have messy eaters, then you cant keep as many fish in the tank. basically it all comes down to the a natural ability of the tank to clean itself and convert the fish waste into non-toxic compounds.

it sounds like you have some more learning to do... dont worry, we all have to start somewhere.

~mike

I'm not saying you could only have 2 fish... I'm only saying that they're the only two fish in the list that you gave us that will be happy for any length of time (if it isn't already too late based on their size) in your tank. The other three fish aren't well suited for your system. You could add a flame angel, gramma, cardinals (x2), chromis... and have a nice looking tank. You just can't have 3 tangs and a puffer! :)

a yellow tang or a kole tang can maybe handle a 55....all the other tangs need more room. I dont consider it a firm rule, I consider it an obligation to do what is right for the fish.

That`s true what Hara is saying. I had a 55 several years ago and I tried to have two tangs and after several tries I finnaly got a yellow and a kole Tang to make it. 3 tangs in a 55 is almost impossible. Listen to all the advice on this topic.

ok, you guys convinced me. However, I just called my lfs and they told me i could stick 8 in my tank...

LFS will say a lot of things. Literally take everything they say with a grain of sand (just dont pay for sand at the LFS, lol).

Granted as I preech, the hobby is about the observer, not the inhabitor.. if it was about the inhabitor I'd leave the fish in the ocean. However, given that idea - there is also reason. You could possibly get away with the yellow and blue but it may be rough on them and the blue will probably perish. You could technically add all of those fish if you wanted but it would probably be best if you kept either the yellow or a blue and gave all the rest to the LFS for store credit. Use the credit to buy filtration devices and possibly another fish or two that would be more appropriate for a 55g -- like a firefish or something. :idea:

No disrespect But your lfs would be better suited for the housekeeping or food service industry if he said that

Manoosie one thing to remember is no one here has anything to gain other than helping you succeed at this hobby. The LFS has everything to gain by overstocking your tank and the deaths that follow will have you coming back for more fish. I am not saying all LFS give bad advise but the one you are dealing with sounds a little shady. No one on this board will give you bad advise on purpose. If they do someone will correct them :D

Forget about the fish for now you don't even have a CYCLED tank. Using water from another tank is not going to help. Bacteria grows on surfaces it is not suspended in the water. So unless they were going to give you 55 lbs + of cured LR you will have nothing but trouble with that number of fish.
I think the others covered the the fish list well.
The LFS is after your money..8 of What kind?? 8 fish in a 55 is pushing the limits way too far. If they were 8 small fish then maybe but 3 tangs and a PP no way...

Back
Top Bottom