Something is eating my snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shamu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so haven't been on here for a while but you guys always have great advice. I have a 60 gallon with only a large Angelfish, catfish and a 6 inch Leopard Pleco. Every time I introduce new fish and/or snails (last time I bought 3 gourami's) something either eats them or they just die. I have had my water tested several times all levels are good. Tank has been up for like 6 years. I am stumped do I just need to get more aggressive fish or what? Any advice would be great!

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be the pleco or catfish or angel eating your snails all three of them are threats to snails

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What kind of catfish is it? I honestly doubt it's the pleco.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How often do you do pwc?

When the water is tested please get the numbers...
Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate as well as pH - a possible issue...and GH or kH or what ever else they use. It helps in understanding the whole picture. You might have ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate fine then end up with a pH of 5 if there isn't any KH and you have old tank syndrome. Then if you throw in new fish they are shocked even if you add a little water in to mix to acclimate. - An example...not as a diagnosis.

How often do you do pwc?

When the water is tested please get the numbers...
Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate as well as pH - a possible issue...and GH or kH or what ever else they use. It helps in understanding the whole picture. You might have ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate fine then end up with a pH of 5 if there isn't any KH and you have old tank syndrome. Then if you throw in new fish they are shocked even if you add a little water in to mix to acclimate. - An example...not as a diagnosis.

Thanks, I will test my levels again and get the numbers.I do a pwc at least twice a week. I have never heard of old tank syndrome thanks I never even thought it could be from the tank being to old.

Shouldn't be old tank syndrome if you do pwc so often. It is mostly from infrequent pwc like only every few months, though other factors can affect it. But doubt it now.

Back
Top Bottom