Something on LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MommaFishels

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have something growing on my LR. It is deep burgundy in color, but does not appear to be cyano. Most of it is little spots that appear to have a small "tube" or "tip" sticking out of the end of it. One or two places it is more of a covering (like coralline algae). Upon physical inspection, the coralline like coverings are not slimy and it is in fact quite hard to scratch off. I pushed on one of the spots and it crushed (had to push fairly hard) and seemed very calcareous. Once again the spots did not seem slimy at all. Any ideas?

The tank is pretty new, only 4 weeks old. It finished cycling about 2 weeks ago. Had some diatoms and very small traces of hair algae, but the cleanup crew has pretty much taken care of that.

DSC00284 shows the coralline like covering.
DSC00268 and 285 show a large overview of the spots on the rock
DSC00283 shows a close-up of some of the spots (you can see the "tube" or "tip" as I called it)

Thanks in advance for any identification...

-PapaFishels (MommaFishels significant other)

Attachments

• DSC00284.jpg
    DSC00284.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC00268.jpg
    DSC00268.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC00285.jpg
    DSC00285.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC00283.jpg
    DSC00283.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 62
Those are just a type of worm... harmless little fun addition to your cleanup crew! Scientifically, they're called Vermatid Gastropods, and they're just little worms that make a calcium tube for a home. When they sense food in the water column, they'll cast out a "web" from their tube, catch the food, and reel their haul back in. They're great little cleaners and fun to watch. I love watching mine, which aren't much bigger than yours, grapple with a piece of mysis shrimp! They go absolutely nuts when I use a powerhead to blow/dust off my rocks!

Sounds like your tank is ready to start having some fun! Welcome aboard, and keep asking questions!

Ok, good to know it's something harmless but also beneficial. What worried me was that they came out of nowhere. I literally do not remember seeing them there the day before, but I'm sure they've probably been there a few days.

I did some further reading/researching and believe they are Spiroglyphus annulatus specifically, which according to the article "may become very abundant, and be a serious nuisance in some systems." I guess we'll wait and see....

Thanks a million for the reply.

I think the only time they're a nuisance is when they make it difficult to clean things. I'd say they are "very abundant" in mine, and don't have any problems with them.

Regarding where they came from, they probably did come out of nowhere! Well... I mean they were there obviously to start with, but once your water conditions were acceptable they probably starting making new homes for themselves. I remember they appeared pretty quick in my tank too. You will be amazed over the next several months of the things that just come out of nowhere! I'm still amazed myself!

I agree, they do become a pain when they grow on your equipment and you don't see them and go to grab a ph and it sticks you...

Got home last night and started studying them again and I'm 100% positive now that's what they are. You hit it right on the head Kurt, thanks for the ID.

Back
Top Bottom