Something to help with waste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
Tank specs: 55 gallon, Fluval 306, brackish (1.005), 1 juvenile Green Spotted Puffer.

So I'm looking for something to aid the filter due to massive waste production by my puffer. There's only him in there but by the time I get round to my weekly water change (25-30%), it looks like I've dumped half a bottle of flake food in there and it's all sunk to the bottom. Not to mention the brown algae.

Normally, I'd just do larger water changes but the salt cost is killing me. I'm looking for something to help with this, I can't even consider going more than a week without a water change at the minute — honestly the tank needs it bi-weekly by the looks of things. What should I add to help? Sponge filter, HOB, undergravel, etc.?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Make a purigen reactor. This will definitely solve your problem :)

Purigen will not cut down on waste nor will it get rid of the algae.

What are your nitrates running at?

My first thought is to add more flow to the tank. This will aid in kicking the detritus up from the bottom of the tank and into the water column where it can be taken care of via mechanical filtration.

My second thought would be something like this Fluval AquaVac+ Water Changer & Gravel Cleaner

It would let you filter mechanical debris from the water without wasting the water. If you're handy you could even convert a HOB filter to do the same thing.

Technically, if he wants to "cut down" on the waste, then he'd have to get rid of the puffer. Since that's not an option, he'd have to manage the existing waste instead.

Vaccuming substrate? Increased filtration? Why would purigen not help?

In my experience, I cleaned waste can lead to algae blooms

Technically, if he wants to "cut down" on the waste, then he'd have to get rid of the puffer. Since that's not an option, he'd have to manage the existing waste instead.

Vaccuming substrate? Increased filtration? Why would purigen not help?

In my experience, I cleaned waste can lead to algae blooms

Purigen is a water clarifier. The issue that Gallons is having is a mechanical filtration problem. While purigen is amazing for cleaning up cloudy or tannin stained water it does nothing for removal of debris in the tank.

However, increasing flow in the tank by adding extra filters will increase the effectiveness of mechanical filtration. The detritus is sitting around on the bottom and by increasing flow it will be kicked up into the water column where the filter can do its thing and allow the mechanical filtration whether it's filter pads of filter floss to do its job.

Vaccing the substrate is a no brainer, if you remove the detritus manually it's not there to be an eyesore.

Algae comes about generally due to too much light. Unless you massively disturb a substrate that hasn't been cleaned in a while and don't do a large enough water change at the same time then cleaning up detritus will never negatively impact your tank. You're just removing nitrates and phosphates before it has a chance to break down and enter the water column.

I thought the same Mebbid but this is a puffer. They don't like lots of flow.

My suggestion would be a very low powered powerhead. They make ones like 90gph. On this tank size it wouldn't even make a current probably but might be enough to kick up the stuff on the bottom.

Caleb

So I like the idea of removing waste and then putting the water back in. Would I just use a gravel vac to siphon it out into a bucket and then put a net over the bucket as I pour the water back in?

Also, I do actually have a power head for mixing salt (rated for 30 gallon I think). I usually have that high up when it's in the tank to aerate it but I can put it lower?

So I like the idea of removing waste and then putting the water back in. Would I just use a gravel vac to siphon it out into a bucket and then put a net over the bucket as I pour the water back in?

Also, I do actually have a power head for mixing salt (rated for 30 gallon I think). I usually have that high up when it's in the tank to aerate it but I can put it lower?

You can put it anywhere under the water.

Caleb

Sorry, poor phrasing. I know I can put it anywhere but I meant would putting it lower near the substrate have the desired effect? It would kick up the waste but is that likely to just float around constantly or actually be picked up by the filter intake?

I just conquered my algae issues by purchasing a fluval powerhead and decreasing my light cycle. I placed it to the right bottom corner of my filter and pointed it straight up. I have a 55g column style tank (24" high). It's made quite a difference for me. I originally had a bubble wand that I thought would help but it served no purpose really.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom