Sometimes it takes some rearranging to figure out the culprit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teakwood

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been going back and forth trying to figure out what was going on in my tank and I finally think I've figured it out. This might be a little long winded but I thought it might be an interesting topic if discussion and maybe help someone else out with the best way to figure out the aggressive egg in a tank.

55g cycled.
Original stock
4 albino cories
7 juvenile angels for grow out then I'm reducing the numbers. I had my mystery snails in with the angels but the angels were picking on thier antennas so I moved them back to the 10g.

I made an impulse buy on 2 dwarf cichlids, a. Thomasi or African butterfly cichlid. The only things I had read about these guys what that they should so fine in a community aquarium. I know angels pick on each other to develop pecking order and all that but there are some days I wake up and a few of my angels fins are shredded a little more then usual. Sometimes with holes instead of tears. I tried 5 Mickey Mouse platys once and the tips of the angels dorsal fins were picked really bad with in 2 days so back to the store they went. I exchanged them for 10 cardinal tetras. Did a water change, rearranged decor and added them. They stayed hidden ALL the time. And by day 2, 2 cardinals had there tail fins nipped off and died within 24hours. Now at my local fish store tank raised cardinals are 7$ each. So there was NO way I was going to let any more be offed. So into the 10g they went. 2 days ago I woke up as my any angels fins were pretty shredded again so I decided the thing to do was try to move the thomasis. Apparently there are 2 locations they can be from, one use to be around alot more and it was way more docile, now the ones available in the trade are apparently way more aggressive. So I decided to re-do the 10g and move the thomasis to it as put the cardinals back in the 55. The last time I put the cardinals in the 55(with the DCichilds) they hid all the time and stayed tucked in the back in the plants and never swam around. I'm happy to report 12hours in the 55 and they are happily swimming all over the tank, an angel occasionally decides to stalk them but generally speaking everyone seems sooooo much happier. The dwarfs looked pretty rough this morning in the 10g but I added a little extra stress coat booster/water conditioner because they looked like they were loosening some slime coat from the move(I could see tiny air bubbles sticking to what looked like slime coat in the fish) and they have perked up as are swimming around looking much better. Fingers crosse for now they do okay in the 10 till I can get something a bit bigger, and that they don't attack the mystery snails.
I feel so relieved to hopefully have my tanks at the most peaceful they can be and that everyone will be happy with out being picked on.

Attachments

• image-1858114017.jpg
    image-1858114017.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 76
  • image-3999430110.jpg
    image-3999430110.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom