Somewhat Forgotten, Underappreciated Aquarium Fishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toirtis

God of primitive fishes
This post marks the beginning of a list of what I feel are somewhat forgotten (although they may have, in past decades, been popular) and underappreciated aquarium fishes that have fallen from regular mention in mainstream aquarist media and are rarely seen in shops anymore. Although I am starting this, please feel free to add any well-considered species that you feel fit here. I am specifically not attaching links to profiles to encourage you to search out information on these fish yourself...kind of a treasure hunt.

1. Florida Flagfish, Jordanella floridae ...a pretty, interesting North American killifish.

2. Least Killifish, Heterandria formosa, ...smallest of the North American Poeciliinae...not colourful, but pretty and interesting.

3. Sphenops molly, Poecilia sphenops ...what used to be a common molly in the trade, but now only the black version is seen.

4. Paradisefish, Macropodus opercularis ...the first tropical fish kept in aquaria in the modern (since 1500) hobby...easily as attractive as bettas, this labyrinth fish is almost fogotten by the trade in recent years.

5. Green sailfin molly, Poecilia latipinna ...not unusual as a species, but the wild colour, quite as attractive as any of the farmed colours, is rare these days.

6. Sparkling gourami, Trichopsis pumila ...one of the more attractive and easy to keep and spawn gouramis, these tiny gouramis are ideal for small tanks.

7. Redtail splitfin, Xenotoca eiseni ...an unusual and rarely seen goodied that was briefly hot in the hobby, but has almost disappeared from home aquariums.

8. Uaru, Uaru amphiacanthoides ...a less commonly seen, interesting South American cichlid.

9. Pueblan platy, Xiphophorus evelynae ...an attractive platy that has fallen in the shadow of its more colourful cousins.

10. Pygmy sword, Xiphophorus pygmaeus ...a really nice, really little (1½") sword that is easy to keep and great for small aquariums.

Paradise fish are common in Australia ;) but some of those fish I've never heard of! However I would pay anything to get some sparkling gourami for my rather small tank!!! Perhaps there could be a "forgotten fish breeding program"...

It's good that your lfs will stock them, I havn't seen them before in brisbane. However, my lfs orders from bayfish.com.au, as they are their main wholesaler. The lfs owner said they will order fish for me if I want, so hopefully I can get some in a couple of weeks. *fingers crossed*

i see the florida flag fish everytime i go to big als. all there fish are shipped to them from there florida fish farms though so that might be why. i find that big als has alot of fish that most people dont see very often everywhere else. alot of people were commenting on the rose line shark (it has alot of different names) and how expensive and hard it was to get them but big als always had stock and always a fair price.

I've kept Florida Flagfish within the past few years and see them frequently. Then again I do live in Florida ;) They are really great little fish and the males are very attractive in a tank.

I see paradise fish all the time here although they have one tank with all males... i got a couple once not knowing what they were and when they started to tear each other apart i took them back.

Florida flags and paradise fish fall into the 'somewhat forgotton', and definitely underappreciated category....still available, and fairly common in some places, but nowhere near as common as they were 25 years ago. Here, some shops carry paradise regularly, and flags infrequently, but most shops, especially the chains, rarely have a paradise in, if ever, and flags are unheard of.

I want to get some sparkling gouramis at the weekend. Now that you're writing about it I hope I will be able to find them. I love tiny fishes (means I can keep more fishes in one tank :wink: :mrgreen: ).

I saw sparkling gouramis once at a shop. They were indeed an attractive fish, but too small for my liking. I am now starting to see paradisefish everywhere though. Except for the local Petco, I've been seeing paradisefish at every other local store. I keep thinking about getting one or a pair, when I get my 10g's empty.

sparklers are nice fish, ive kept them for years and havent seen them since

Hrm I havent seen any of these fish for sale at my local fish stores. But I've seen like alot of sting rays, eels, awrowanas and stuff for sale but not thoes kidna sad hehe.

How about the common guppy. Once the mainstay of the hobby, now relegated to being sold as feeders. The other side of the coin is there are lots of fish being kept, that I can't imagine anyone wanting. There is something for everyone in this hobby.

Back
Top Bottom