sorry guys... dumb question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all a buddy of mine breeds african cichlids. And i can get them for $3 a piece. BEAUTIFUL colors, but... I don't wanna be stuck with just cichlids. I like catfish and angle fish, toadfish aka freshwater lionfish. Lol they are cool too. I just reeeaaalllyyy don't want just cichlids. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks all!!! He will also sell me 100 guppies for $30. I know the cichlids will destroy the guppies.lol

It just depends on what you are trying to do and what kind of tank you have to work with. It sounds like your best option would be to get multiple tanks.

I have a 55 gallon. I don't have room for multiple tanks... I just don't know what to do... I really like cichlids but I don't wanna get tired of the same fish...

well im kinda new with cichlids myself, but i've done a lot of research and from what i've learned is putting other fish in the tank is not a good idea. of course it all depends on what kind, but most likely those other fish will just get bullied on and picked apart. cichlids are a pretty aggressive fish...

It sounds like you just need to research some fish and wait till you fall in love with a particular species then build around it.

I like the electric blues and yellows. It just doesn't seem like I'm gonna be able to get them because of the aggresion

when you develop a cichlid tank, theres almost no way you can get bored of it imo. the colours can range from striking to subtle, personalities just the same. 55gal can hold an oscar or bigger ones like a jack dempsey or convicts, or a big african colony.
plus if you go mbuna, theres so many colour variants within this category that you can mix without mega aggression issues like if you mixed AC with SA.
and aggression can be controlled with ratios of 1 male to 3 females, regular feeding of flakes or pellets etc (no live foods) and enough stocking to keep them all swimming in a proximity that disables a large territory claim.
google some names like haplochromis, mbuna, oscar cichlid, jack dempsey etc to get an idea of the range. good luck, keep us posted :)

I was in the same situation as you, Didn't have enough room for a dedicated Cichlid tank, So I ended up getting dwarf cichlids, They're pretty good fish and can be kept in community with other fish. So you don't just get stuck with Cichlids, If you have a back-up plan (back-up tank or home) then you can take a risk or two, I made an Agressive community with A couple of South American Cichlids, some Barbs and some Congo tetras. But unless you have a backup plan I Do NOT recommend it!

But when it comes down to it a full on Cichlid tank is ideal, Not only will the fish be happier but You shouldn't get bored, they ALL have personality and I LOVE just sitting and watching them have little disputes, flirts, friendships and grudges.
You won't get bored of them I'm sure. I even find the less colourful have even MORE personality. :)

when you develop a cichlid tank, theres almost no way you can get bored of it imo. the colours can range from striking to subtle, personalities just the same. 55gal can hold an oscar or bigger ones like a jack dempsey or convicts, or a big african colony.
plus if you go mbuna, theres so many colour variants within this category that you can mix without mega aggression issues like if you mixed AC with SA.
and aggression can be controlled with ratios of 1 male to 3 females, regular feeding of flakes or pellets etc (no live foods) and enough stocking to keep them all swimming in a proximity that disables a large territory claim.
google some names like haplochromis, mbuna, oscar cichlid, jack dempsey etc to get an idea of the range. good luck, keep us posted :)

I'm getting ten 2" african cichlids a 5 gallon bucket of slate rock for caves and a ten gallon set up for when I get babies. All for $40!!! My question is can I also get jack dempseys and red blood parrots or no? Thanks!

Travis

Travis55 said:
I'm getting ten 2" african cichlids a 5 gallon bucket of slate rock for caves and a ten gallon set up for when I get babies. All for $40!!! My question is can I also get jack dempseys and red blood parrots or no? Thanks!

Travis

Good deal. What kind of Africans? That is broad. No on the jd and parrot.

give us pics if u want IDing, and pics of the whole thing set up!! great job on picking the cichlids :) xx

No caves yet, but here's a teaser begginer pic!

img_1584561_0_e625d445514d7632f6e0442129f4200e.jpg

id immediately rehome the cory and the tetra so i could get cichlids, but im addicted! just look at some of the types they have, imo mbuna and haps are the best.
why no cichlids? xx

you dont have sharks as far as i know! and loach should be ok and so should pleco. as far as i know!!!!!!!
but the tetra and cory are doomed.

Back
Top Bottom