South Americans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishBoy185

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok my tank is halfway done cycling and im just wondering of some fish ideas and im thinking:

2 Convict cichlids
1 jack dempsey
1 tiger oscar
Can I put 2 jack dempseys instead of 1 or can 1 live by itself?
Is it too much?
Oh and the tank is 75 gallons.
Thanks

Brian

it shouldn't be too much as long as you keep up with the bioload and watch out for the aggression. if you want 2 dempseys, lose the Oscar imo

Rocio octofasciatum and Amatitlania nigrofasciatus are Central American cichlids not South American. You could potentially do a pair of each in a 75 with some dithers such as Buenos Aires tetra.

Rocio octofasciatum and Amatitlania nigrofasciatus are Central American cichlids not South American. You could potentially do a pair of each in a 75 with some dithers such as Buenos Aires tetra.

+1 just lose the Oscar.

I would also try to get a pair of female convicts. If you get a male and female pair they will reproduce and won't hesitate to attack a jack dempsey that gets too close to the fry.

+1 to Betta Owner.
You have to remember that Cichlids are territorial. Having one of a specie in a tank will only lead to "get out of my space" fighting ( which is short lived.) The downside to having 2 of a specie is that if they are a pair and want to breed, the fighting turns into "Get out of my tank!!!!" fighting which is much more damaging, sometimes even lethal. Unless you can get guaranteed same gender, I'd stick with one of a type.

Hope this helps

I would also try to get a pair of female convicts. If you get a male and female pair they will reproduce and won't hesitate to attack a jack dempsey that gets too close to the fry.

Then get all male or female convicts so they won't spawn!

I would potentially look into some of the other Central American cichlids too, it's a great group of fish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom