spanish moss style plant for aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FastFly67

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've got the picture in my brain of a 'curtain' of greenery hanging off my driftwood creating a nice little 'cave' for my fishie to hide in or even a curtain to swim thru. Does anyone else have this picture in their head and can they tell me what type of plant i'd be looking for? would hava moss do this? I'm planning on finding some for my betta tank anyway.

Moss mosses will do. Java moss, Christmas moss, flame moss, etc. In order to get the "wall effect" you will need some wire grid or almost like screen material with holes large enough for the plant to pass through and grow on, in, and around. Spread the moss in a fine layer on your substrate. Ley the grid material on top of it and gently pull through what you can so some of the strands are still under the screen. Within a week or two you should be able to move this material and stand it up where you want provided that you have strong enough light to rapidly grow the moss. Most mosses will grow in the lowest light conditions but they will grow faster in higher light. Cut the size mesh you need and you should be good to go.

You can also attach the moss to the driftwood and tie it with fishing line or string and it will grow into the driftwood. I thought you might want more of a "wall" for the background and that's why I suggested what I did above.

Weeping Moss and Christmas Moss have tendancies to grow down, but perhaps not quite the way that you want unfortunately.

I really like Christmas moss. If you gt some really nice big handfuls of it and put it on the driftwood where you want it, then secure it with some green wire or fishing line then it will get a little more bushy over time probably giving you the effect you are after or at least close to it anyway.

Sometimes it is hard to make things look exactly the way we see them in our minds but I think your idea could look really cool. :)

Back
Top Bottom