Spare tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ploughking

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have one empty tank and I want to breed something relativly easy and colorful in it. Any ideas? Thanx

I also have one pleco (small) livng in it

well, if you breed egglayers, you'll need to remove the pleco. I was talking with a friend who was breeding an egglaying fish and he said the pleco would just gobble up the eggs. Then again, you mileage may very. It won't hurt to have the fish breed a couple of times and see what happens.

Convict Cichlid (Archocentrus nigrofasciatus). will have fry in a week.i promise.
right water temp. and chem. with rocks and a pot or two for a cave, they will lay eggs like crazy. look at www.cichlids.com to find out more about cichlids, and how easy it is to get this american cichlid to breed.

fancy guppies are nice looking, although they eat fry sometimes.
Otherwise, any livebearer should work, and I personally recommend platies, as they're colorful and fun to watch.

I recommend Platies...you'll have a tank full of them before you know it!!! And they are very personable, active fish.

the Convict Cichlid (Archocentrus nigrofasciatus), is one of a kind. the best parents a fry could have. they are very protective of there fry to an extant that is like the parents have no fear. they can fend off fish up to 3 time there size. very territorial when breeding. but very easy to breed. once the fry is free swimming, the parent will start all over, laying eggs allover again. one female and one male is all you need. the fry is anywhere from 100-300 each time. give it a thought or two.no other parents will give you this much excitement.

rubysoho said:
well, if you breed egglayers, you'll need to remove the pleco. I was talking with a friend who was breeding an egglaying fish and he said the pleco would just gobble up the eggs. Then again, you mileage may very. It won't hurt to have the fish breed a couple of times and see what happens.
if small and can get in the cave that your egglayer laid there eggs. then yeah you just might want to take out your pleco just in case. but on the other hand it might be occupied with something else. with cichlids, they will no let your pleco in or around the eggs.

smallfry said:
I recommend Platies...you'll have a tank full of them before you know it!!! And they are very personable, active fish.
I chose platies in the end. The pleco is coming out more now they are in there with him. The tank looks more colorful now as I added some plants a day before I got the platies. Due to my restraint of only having £6 to spend I could only get 3. I now have two females and one male. (I am posotive of that!) One of the females is starting to swell up a bit, is this a sign of breeding?

Ploughking,
Congrats on the Platies! It's just a matter of time before one of those females drops little babies. :mrgreen: :D :D :D

To tell if a female is pregnant, look for a vivid, dark "gravid" spot under her belly near her bottom fin and an increasingly round body. She may eat more than normal as well. To encourage "love", keep the temp near or at 80....the warm temp helps.
Make sure you have lots of plant cover for future fry to hide in.....once you have fry feel free to pm me if you have questions.
Good Luck! :D

Back
Top Bottom