Spastic betta behavior!! Is he sick? - video included

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCC93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my betta for almost a week and he's been pretty spastic even since we got him. He's in a planted 5.5 gallon filtered tank that has been set up for ~ 2 months. I acclimated him by floating him in the cup he came in and slowly took out his old water and put in new water (took nearly an hour before I put him in the tank).

I feed him Omega One pellets (he LOVES them) twice a day. He attacks the glass because I think he sees his reflection but he also has spasm "attacks" (see video at bottom of post). I thought the spasms were getting better but this is one of the worst ones I've seen. He's always been paranoid/skittish so I'm not sure if it's stress or he has an infection. Any advice?

Just checked the water params (prior to a ~25% PWC):

Ammonia: 0 - .25 (closer to 0 though)
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0 - 5
pH: 6.4 (this seems a little low so could this be the issue?)

https://youtu.be/H51jdvFVMLY?t=2m

Any advice?? He does better at night with the lights all off but I'm still concerned because he now has some stress stripes

You know how we see mirrors on the glass on the sides of the tank, thats because of the angle we are looking from, its an illusion, we dont see the mirror on the side of the tank we look directly through, fish dont see the mirror because they are inside and they can see directly through each side of the tank, the only way a fish will see its own reflection is if there is a real mirror against the tank or if u have a dark background picture and it isnt stuck to the glass, seeing as u dont have a background, if your betta is attacking the side of the tank, its not because he thinks hes seeing another betta..

My first impression was also that he's striking at his reflection. Does he do it more at night, ie, when there is less ambient light?

Some times when they see certain things they freek out

John,
Trust me I am not insane

Back
Top Bottom