Spec 9 and DHG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joecoones

Aquarium Advice Activist
Question... I am going to carpet this fluval spec 9 with dwarf hair grass before I fill it, just keep on the substrate moist. I have a base layer of aquarium plant substrate (I forget the brand but it's the staple) some root tabs and black Caribbean sand. My question is once the carpet is grown and I fill the tank will the spec 9's 14? Led lights be able to maintain the plants. Here is what I've finished tonight, planting the DHG tomorrow.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421743901.568554.jpg

Planted dwarf hair grass today along with some pogostemon helferi I came across that was grown emerged. Good ferts, threw a 24" florescent grow light on top and wrapped her up. Hopefully will start to cover nicely soon. How long should I leave the light on each day? 12hrs? If I want it to cover fast can I do 18hrs? Or would that not make a difference? Thanks! When this is done and full of water I'm going to put some drift wood that sticks up over that rock outcrop and make a nice little tree! (1st attempt at doing plants)

Attachments

• IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 48
So I need to make some corrections, I thought this was a 9 gallon tank but apparently it is a 5 gallon. And there are 37 LED lights not 14.

Yes I mean spec 5. Thank you on the scape! Can't wait for the drift wood and moss for tree. What is a common low light plant to use on drift wood for bushy tree effect?

Java moss is virtually unkillable, you can also try Xmas and flame moss. Not that flame moss grows upward, and looks like a rising flame, hence the name.

Looks like a really nice scape and it clearly shows you put some thought in to it. Well done.

I've read from numerous sources that the stock LED light on the spec 5 is good for only low light plants. You may have to upgrade the light if you have goals with moderate to high light plants in mind. Also, when you get into light above low light, you should consider co2 or glut carbon dosing.

DHG will also melt after it's submerged from being grown and accustomed to emersed growth. It's okay as it'll bounce back, but IME, that's where the co2 / glut become important.

Edit:
The stock LED may sustain the DHG, but not too sure about it thriving really well under it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I went ahead and purchased a 12" T5 at the hardware store and am building hood to house it. Can't find any full spectrum 12" T5s around here so my LFS is ordering me one. I am going to bite the bullet and go ahead and get a little CO2 system, I just feel I would be so much happier with the results.

Back
Top Bottom