Spectrastone natural river rock: raise PH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JSlead

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Again,

My tap water is PH 8. I’ve been mixing it with Reverse Osmosis water (PH 7.5) into my tank. Now my tank reads PH 8.2! (Digital meter, calibrated recently).

My substrate is Spectrastone natural river gravel. Has anyone used this? It clearly has various types of stone... is it the culprit?

I also have a couple pieces of driftwood which is supposed to LOWER PH.

Help!

Thanks,

JS

Do you top off your tank water with tap water? If so this is adding more hardness / minerals by water evaporating and leaving them in the tank.

This brand rock I am not familiar with, but the stones look like normal river stones.

You can take a hand full of the assortment of stones, let them dry and try a vinegar test. Basically just add some vinegar and see if they fizz. You might try some of the light colored ones in a separate test and see if they fizz. I doubt it.

Are you using any additives?

Do you have any large decorative stones?

Do you top off your tank water with tap water? If so this is adding more hardness / minerals by water evaporating and leaving them in the tank.

This brand rock I am not familiar with, but the stones look like normal river stones.

You can take a hand full of the assortment of stones, let them dry and try a vinegar test. Basically just add some vinegar and see if they fizz. You might try some of the light colored ones in a separate test and see if they fizz. I doubt it.

Are you using any additives?

Do you have any large decorative stones?

Hello, Thanks for comments.

No, I don’t top off the tank. When I do water changes (last three changes anyway) I’m using half reverse osmosis water and half tap. I have seen the hardness come down somewhat, which I believe is good.

The substrate: yes, I did that- took a handful out, dried, poured vinegar on it. No fizz. Also, I don’t have any other larger rocks in there.

Lastly, no additives either. A month or so ago I treated the tank with Epsom salt and I’m sure there’s still residue of that in there, decreasing with water changes. The hardness was REALLY high after that.

Thanks.

JS

How much Epsom salts did you use per gallon?

It was pretty little... if I recall correctly it was 1Tbsp/5 gallons. (I may have that wrong; it was weeks ago). I researched the dosage on several different aquarium sites and there was a lot of variation; this dosage was on the lower end (another one I saw a few times was 1tsp/1 gallon).

I have done several 50% water changes since the Epsom treatment and my PH as of last night’s WC was 8.06 (digital PH meter). I plan to check again tonight; I’ve read that PH stabilizes after 24 hours.

Thanks.

JS

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom