Speed up growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apollo6626

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone!

I have probably a basic question to most of you. I have only had a planted tank for almost two months now. I have a few larger Elodea plants (7in) plus probably 10 or so little two inchers. I just added yesterday two small java ferns. I know the java ferns take a while to spread and grow but i was wondering if there was a way to speed up my Elodea's growth? (I plan on adding Amazon Swords once the Elodea takes off) I know in the last two months, the Elodea has just grown root systems, no height.

P.S.: I DO NOT believe in dosing any fertilizers or CO2 systems, as for CO2 I have many air stones around my plants, but I feel that all natural fertilizer works the same.

Info on my tank: 55 gal.
2 Emperor 400 Power Filters
1 Undergravel system
1 48in Aqueon Floramax T8 light (don't know the K value)
4 Angels, 2 pictus, 2 Cory Cats, and 5 Red Eye tetras.

Any input will help, thanks!

Well the air stones will remove co2 by increasing gas exchange. Your plants need co 2 and a source of minerals, macro and micro nutrients. What type of substrate are you using?
No ferts or carbon source will limit your growth.

Well the air stones will remove co2 by increasing gas exchange. Your plants need co 2 and a source of minerals, macro and micro nutrients. What type of substrate are you using?
No ferts or carbon source will limit your growth.

Ok well I can take those out, I have smaller natural pebbles, and it's not limiting my growth, I just really don't want to mess around with ferts.

You may want to consider soil substrate with a cap then. Some plants like the fern feed through the water column while others, like swords, are heavy root feeders. With soil you can get away without ferts for the root feeders for a while.

Yeah, I just don't want to remove all the gravel, it's too hard to at the moment. Well I'll hold off on the sword. But so I guess find a chemical with macro and micro nutrients? I work at a pet store and we sell the kent plant speed growth formula, will that work?

Alright well my plants started getting transparent leaves, so I added the kent liquid fert. I'll see within the next week if it made a difference.

Co2 is the only way to go with plants. Even the easy growing plants. I'd get Co2 booster from your local pet store. Does wonders for my two planted tanks. Also, lighting makes all the difference.

Alright well my plants started getting transparent leaves, so I added the kent liquid fert. I'll see within the next week if it made a difference.

Just remember if the nutrient the plant is deficient in isn't contained in that fert the plants won't improve.

Co2 is the only way to go with plants. Even the easy growing plants. I'd get Co2 booster from your local pet store. Does wonders for my two planted tanks. Also, lighting makes all the difference.

I will be getting t5 once I get more plants, as for the co2, I cannot afford a system, about how much is a booster?

You can get a gallon of glutaraldehyde on line for $27, mix it with 1-1/2 gallons of RO to get 2-1/2 gallons of Glut (which is the same as Flourish Excel) for $27. Can't get cheaper than that.

You can get a gallon of glutaraldehyde on line for $27, mix it with 1-1/2 gallons of RO to get 2-1/2 gallons of Glut (which is the same as Flourish Excel) for $27. Can't get cheaper than that.

Wow yeah, ok I'll try that in a few days, that's a lot guys!

Back
Top Bottom