Spitting Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquanoobie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new tank that I am cycling "fish in" with guppies. I used Tetra Safe Start and my water checks our perfect for guppies.

When I feed them they grab the food and spit it out quickly, then grab it and do it again, and again. After they have ravaged it all on the top they spend the next hour eating all the food on the bottom. Is this normal? I thought guppies were top feeders.

My dwarf gourami do the same thing, don't think it's anything to worry about though

I wouldn't be too concerned. Mine (used and still ) do the same thing but my own theory is:

1. The flake size is too big so they try and get it down to a manageable size for their little mouths; or

2. If it's a different flake from what they were fed originally they can take some time to adjust.

After they have ravaged it all on the top they spend the next hour eating all the food on the bottom. Is this normal? I thought guppies were top feeders.

Mine are little pigs so they'll eat anything, anywhere and anytime :lol:

+1 to the above.

My tetras do that anytime I introduce a new food. It lasts 3-5 days before I think they get used to it.

My molly still does it with pellet type food. I think that the 1mm size is still just a tad too big for him, so he does it until the pellet softens up a bit (sometimes a tetra will steal it from him when he spits it out).

As long as they're eating you should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom