Splendid fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koppriecht

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well my tank is fully stocked now and it seems rather peaceful. I was told to stick with mbuna for the remaining fish but I couldn't pass this peacock up when I saw him. What a beautiful fish! The biggest in the tank too.

95003-albums14114-picture67784.jpg

I have in a 110 gal:

1 Demasoni
1 Peacock Hybrid
1 Red Peacock (pictured)
2 Red Peacock (smaller)
1 Yellow Lab
3 White Fin Acei
1 Blue Alhi
1 Blue Johanni
1 Aurutus
1 Red Dwarf Jewel
1 Dubosi
4 Zebra
1 Pleco
1 Socofoli (?)

He's beautiful. I wish I had a large enough tank for a red empress peacock.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

A red empress is a hap species, not a peacock
Kind of hard to argue what is or isn't a Peacock since it is just a trade name that has no standards or true meaning. I hear/see those fish called/labeled peacocks pretty regularly. What is your definition of a peacock, fish in the genus Aulonacara?

Just one more reason why I hate trade names :)

Just to throw this out there but there isn't any Aulonocara that goes by "Red Empress" that name is reserved for Protomelas taeniolatus (Namalenje Is.) or Protomelas taeniolatus "Super Red"

I agree however that scientific names should be used to label fish in store and us as aquarist should use them when describing our fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just to throw this out there but there isn't any Aulonocara that goes by "Red Empress" that name is reserved for Protomelas taeniolatus (Namalenje Is.) or Protomelas taeniolatus "Super Red"
Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier. I wasn't trying to imply that the "Red Empress" was an Aulonacara.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that since there are no rules or standards for trade names such as "Peacock" all that you really have to rely on is common usage. At this point, it seems like the term "Peacock" has evolved to cover a group of African cichlids that are colorful and sort of look the same.

I use the word peacock for aulonocara species as well as the aulonocara hybrids commonly found in the trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom